Change...EM1 content

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Are those Powerstop reman'd calipers? I was considering them for my car, seemed reasonably priced.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
Radiator support was so hard to drill through to install the ASR brackets, dont forget Red Loctite.
For some reason my set didn't come with any hardware so I just used a couple longer m6 bolts I had on hand. They're long enough to fit a nut on top to lock it. I was kind of afraid of stripping the aluminum threads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Radiator support was so hard to drill through to install the ASR brackets, dont forget Red Loctite.
Having the right bits helps, new. Cant say what you used, but I've got good bit sets here =)

Are those Powerstop reman'd calipers? I was considering them for my car, seemed reasonably priced.
They are. I bought them for the front of the Tundra last summer. They were cheaper on Amazon, powder coated, than the reman in raw finish from O'Riley's. So I went with the same for the rear to match. I am not a fan of red, but I am a fan of longevity and rust prevention...haha. But wouldn't you know it, black PC was nearly all I could find this time, what I would have preferred. All good though. Because racetruck...haha.

For some reason my set didn't come with any hardware so I just used a couple longer m6 bolts I had on hand. They're long enough to fit a nut on top to lock it. I was kind of afraid of stripping the aluminum threads
I think mine came with hardware, but I just don't remember. I'll def be looking at what they sent and decide on using it or getting my own. Locking hardware and loc-tite for sure.

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Update!

After a horrible experience with K-Tuned, the fancy quick release hinges arrived...

Track Solutions (IG peeps) AIM Solo lap timer mount and GoPro mount...3D printed, pretty cool stuff!

Bay prep...

And one of my reasons, among many, that working on the car is difficult. Work has been crazy for a while. Here was our coming back from going out to sea for a week on the CVN 72 for sea trials...

View of the CVN 73 after arriving back to Norfolk Naval Base...

Walking away from the 72...

Among many things tested during a sea trial, here are a few pics of the ship doing high speed turns...

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
And after getting back, house projects. Remove grass like plants that were in when we bought the house a couple years ago. Remove all of the pine bark...what a job. Shovel in and shovel out. And then nearly all redone. We finished up the planting over the weekend. Next is either landscape timbers or rock as a border...

And after 3 freaking months...my harness from WireWorx...with the wrong firewall plate.

Bay actually getting some work! Finally time!

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
That's a shame to hear about your bad experiences with both of those companies. I had a three month wait for my k series harness as well, when they told me via email that they had "extra time" on their hands and that they would add options for free if i placed my order asap. I was charged for the options, waited 3 months with no communication from them, then when I finally did receive a response they said they'd send me a free set of grounds to compensate for the wait which I never received. Then when I finally received my harnesses there were mistakes with the knock and crank sensors. Then when I finally install and go to fire up the car, the conversion harness wasn't supplying power to the ecu or signal to the tach. So all in all it was a bunch of little things that were easy fixes but added up to be pretty aggravating.

The cars going to look great with the respray and harness though! I gotta say, you're profession looks pretty exciting as well

endo617

Respected
Registered VIP
Nothing worse than waiting for stuff or getting a bad experience. Are you doing smoke gray too?

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That's a shame to hear about your bad experiences with both of those companies. I had a three month wait for my k series harness as well, when they told me via email that they had "extra time" on their hands and that they would add options for free if i placed my order asap. I was charged for the options, waited 3 months with no communication from them, then when I finally did receive a response they said they'd send me a free set of grounds to compensate for the wait which I never received. Then when I finally received my harnesses there were mistakes with the knock and crank sensors. Then when I finally install and go to fire up the car, the conversion harness wasn't supplying power to the ecu or signal to the tach. So all in all it was a bunch of little things that were easy fixes but added up to be pretty aggravating.

The cars going to look great with the respray and harness though! I gotta say, you're profession looks pretty exciting as well
Yeah, I was a bit upset about the harness, but I kind of expected it after the headlight harness taking 2 months. But I called and talked to them about the shop status and they quoted 4-5 weeks. So that was really my biggest hang up. I get the custom work and the time it takes to do it, especially when its the higher end where there are more details added and the type of twist added to the harness. I have the knowledge and skill to do the work, I just didn't have the time. So I do very much respect the work that goes into it and can relate more than many. But when you tell me the shop is slowing down and the turn around is better, then it takes more than double, that's the issue. Just be honest, or at least open ended.

But I've always been happy with the overall work that WireWorx does. I've never had any major issues and nothing that has needed to be sent back, so that has been good. And emails are answered promptly, but generally I just call them and talk with them. That customer service and the overall work they do, as compared to some of the other leading vendors, is why I always go back. WireWorx has always provided the best service and has been willing to go above on things that I've asked about where the others won't.

K-tuned, I don't really want to get into a whole deal on them. I'll just say I'm over them. I'm just glad they don't really offer anything I need. And I'll never go K, so I don't have to worry about that. But there are others that provide service for the K stuff anyway. But again, I'll never go K and I have no intentions on having a K engine in my driveway ever again.

But thanks on the comments to the bay and the harness :D But I'm not spraying anything ;) The bay is actually being brush painted. I'll follow up later with some photos to just how nicely the paint lays down via brush.

My job, yeah, there are def some great aspects to it. Its nice being out of the Navy but still being involved in a lot of things. And its great that I can get out to sea from time to time. I always did enjoy being at sea, less the being away from my family. But its not a job where I'd ever be deployed, so a few days isn't terrible at all =)

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
Yeah after Xavier saw on a Facebook post i had made asking for help, he jumped in and got my issues figured out pretty quick. Even offered to send me another conversion harness although the original one now works. I give him a thumbs up for that for sure. As far as ktuned goes, I haven't had a bad experience yet. Mike had been pretty quick to respond and answer the few questions I've had so far. Im running into a problem with their speed converter at the moment so we'll see how that gets resolved. Hopefully I don't have too many issues with their products as I have a few on my car. I've never thought about laying paint in a bay with a brush! I'm very curious to see how this turns out

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Xavier def has the customer service game locked up, in my opinion. I guess its just some of the quirks of custom electrical work.

I gave ample time for my order with K-Tuned before making contact. Then all of my emails went unanswered. I tried calling the number on their site, didn't work. Finally I had to resort to making a FB message to them, providing all of the details and attempts to contact so they were aware, and frankly it was like they didn't even read it and presented an attitude in response. But I kept with a professional and polite response. They gave me a line but said it would be looked into and I'd be contacted back with information regarding the issue. Their idea of contact was far different than mine. They implied they would make actual contact to ensure resolution. But in fact, the only contact was a tracking number. Nothing to provide details. Nothing of any apology. That, coupled with many other things I've been reading lately, I'm just done with them. I like these hinges and hope they perform well. But I don't see there being any further business and no recommendation being made to them.

Photobucket is being dumb. I've uploaded but it keeps timing out when I go the library to get the links. I did posts to IG though, same username.

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I decided to go ahead and do the wheel wells, rather than wait until a later date. I had to remove everything anyway for replacing parts and such, including new inner tie rods. So it would have been silly to do the wells later considering the access I've created.

Both sides needed some clean up and prime work...

About an hour of paint work after about an hour of clean up and prep. So about 2 hours total to do both sides. And 6oz of paint.

And in VA Beach this past weekend, I went to SpringFest with some buddies, you might have seen that TSX around here before ;) And that FBP Si is my wife's old Si, bought by her older brother and well taken care of! But also a great weekend to promote our event in Oct, Attack the Dragon X!

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Update...

I ordered custom blue carbon TrackLife large cutouts with their wide fender caps, and they trimmed them in with blue carbon for me =)

Bought these smoked tails, previously seen on SS featured FBP EM1 of Steve Perez...

Second coat down on the wheel wells and bay...

Still laying out very nice for a brush painted bay =)

Hopefully its dry by the end of the week. But I'm worried the humidity will keep it from being properly set. I'd like to get the third coat down. But we will see...

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks guys. Its looking really great. Some strokes in some places, but overall I'm very pleased with it. I just need to watch the brush and ensure it stays wet, not trying to paint it all out of the brush. As it thins and the paint on the body gets a little tacky, you'll see strokes show up some. And when the bay is all back together, things wont be as noticeable anyway...haha.

Not much done this weekend. I was worried about the humidity and threats of rain, so no paint. Got the garage cleaned up a little and shifted to changing out some parts.

Inner tie rods changed, boots and such. New HardRace endlinks on the front sway bar. Changed out the Buddy Club rear camber kit with the PCI.

endo617

Respected
Registered VIP
Thanks guys. Its looking really great. Some strokes in some places, but overall I'm very pleased with it. I just need to watch the brush and ensure it stays wet, not trying to paint it all out of the brush. As it thins and the paint on the body gets a little tacky, you'll see strokes show up some. And when the bay is all back together, things wont be as noticeable anyway...haha.

Not much done this weekend. I was worried about the humidity and threats of rain, so no paint. Got the garage cleaned up a little and shifted to changing out some parts.

Inner tie rods changed, boots and such. New HardRace endlinks on the front sway bar. Changed out the Buddy Club rear camber kit with the PCI.
Nice, going to be finished before your event?