98 Civic losing power while driving

lisitpc

98 Civic is losing power while driving. It is not stalling. The engine stays running. Pressing the accelerator has no effect. No lights come on the dashboard. Starting and restarting the engine it eventually catches, but it does not crank strongly and the engine kind of lurches. This happened while driving and also at a stop light. I just started and restarted the engine a few times and it cranked fine, so the problem is intermittent.

Battery is good. I can hear the fuel pump humming when I start the engine. I thought it might be the main fuel pump relay but I replaced that to no avail. It's got new spark plug wires.

It's very hot here and seems this issue started with the summer heat. (+98 degrees)

I replaced the ignition switch a few years ago so I don't think it is that.

I would appreciate any tips you have.

shuaib.jacobs

What type of fuel are you using? How long since you last had fresh fuel in your tank?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

lisitpc

What type of fuel are you using? How long since you last had fresh fuel in your tank?

The same gas I've always used. This is all on the same tank though.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I would top off with fresh gas.

Does the issue occur when the engine is cold, warm, or both?

I would also check your grounds and clean them if they appear to be rusty or corroded.

shuaib.jacobs

I would 2nd that, definitely check the alternator and battery contacts, clean and apply battery contact grease. Let us know how you getting on.

lisitpc

I would top off with fresh gas.

Does the issue occur when the engine is cold, warm, or both?

I would also check your grounds and clean them if they appear to be rusty or corroded.
Both, but more so when the engine is hot.

The grounds all look good.

lisitpc

I would 2nd that, definitely check the alternator and battery contacts, clean and apply battery contact grease. Let us know how you getting on.

I'm going to have the alternator checked.

I replaced the fuel filter. Didn't help.

It's having startup problems now. Cranks but doesn't catch. Eventually it does after sputtering.

Last edited:

lisitpc

Turn key from OFF to ON(II). Does CEL come on for 2 seconds and then turn off?
Yes it does. Good idea.

I just tried it, car was cranking but not starting.

It's got a 5 year battery that's only a few months old. Cranks strong but didn't catch immediately like it should.

lisitpc

Check the mechanical timing. The timing belt may have skipped some teeth.
I will, thanks.

What is odd is that after I replaced the fuel filter, I drove it for about 10 miles with no issues. A couple of hours later I went to drive it again and the problems are back. Could there be something on the gas tank that settled during that time and clogged the system?

lisitpc

Does the engine start and run well with starting fluid?

A clogged fuel filter will generally throw code P0171.
I have not tried starter fluid. And it has not thrown any codes. I emptied the old filter but did not see any particles.

If it starts well with starter fluid, what would that indicate?

lisitpc

A fuel delivery problem.

But also check the mechanical timing.

Have you check for bright spark at all 4 spark plugs?
No, replaced the wires though.

Those plugs are NGK plugs and were replaced about 15000 miles ago so I was thinking they are still good.

lisitpc

I went ahead and replaced the plugs. The old ones were in there kind of loose. One of them had the gap just slightly off. I didn't realize you could just pull the fuel injectors off with the engine running so I did that and they appear just fine. So far the problems have not come back.

lisitpc

The car is still having issues.

Replaced spark plug wires.
Replaced plugs.
Replaced main fuel pump relay
Checked injectors and they are fine.
Replaced fuel filter
It cranks strong but doesn't catch, when it happens. It's intermittent.

It's got to be heat related. It just happened when the car was sitting in the sun at 101 degrees. For multiple starts a few days before that it was driving fine.This last time, I waited until the temp dropped at bit and the car started but just barely. I had to pump the pedal to get it to catch.

Then driving it stalled twice. On one stall while it was in motion I was able to pull into a parking lot. Steering and braking was sluggish, so I guess power steering and braking was affected?

Even my mechanic is pretty stumped. But of course it's not doing this when he is around.

lisitpc

You clearly choose to ignore advice.

If you are paying a mechanic, fire him and find a good one. A good one will do diagnostic tests rather than randomly replace parts at your expense.
I replaced those parts. What diagnostics should run be run on it. The problem is intermittent.

Otto85

Do as @boofoo said check all 4 plugs for spark. 3 basics points to check first when your car won't start; air, fuel and spark. Im curious to know if you have a faulty ignition coil in your distributor

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

lisitpc

Yes, I guess I should buy a spark plug tester for when this happens again.

I just went and tried the car after it sat overnight. Started and restarted 10 times with no issue.