01 Ex Cranks But Won't Start...Please Help

Fuss1983

Hi all...I'm new to the forum so please forgive me if I am asking a repeated question. Forewarning...I don't know much about cars. I haven't done any repairs myself. I'm just getting frustrated with spending a decent amount of money on having numerous things fixed and still having the same issue.

A month or so ago, my Civic stopped starting consistently. It would crank, but not start. No clicking, just the sound of the engine trying to turn completely over and start, but never getting there. So I took it to my service place (not a dealership) and he said in these situations, they usually start with the starter. They replaced that. $470. Two days later...same issue. Again, it was not all the time, probably 35-45% of the time. Enough to be really annoying. Sometimes I would sit for 5-10 minutes trying it sporadically...eventually it would start up. I took it back. Then they said it could be a relay. They replaced that. $90. A few days later, it started doing it again. Same consistency. I took it back. This is 3 days ago. Now it's a purge valve and the ignition switch. $260. Replaced those. Tonight it did it again. I sat in a gas station parking lot for 10 minutes and tried it a few times and finally it started up...What gives?! When I picked the car up, the guy said the only thing left that it could be is the computer. I don't know what to do. I can't have unreliable transportation. Please help if you can. I'm already out $800 on this. Thank you in advance.

Fuss1983

As an aside, I have noticed a considerable increase in power issues. For example...and the best way I can describe it: When I am driving down the road, more noticeably in town (20-40mph), and I take my foot off the gas, there is this feeling like the car is being pulled backwards, like a jerk. I always thought that when you took your foot off the gas, you were no longer adding power to the engine, but it's become more prominent...this jerking backwards. I don't know if it is a fuel supply issue.