5th gen exhaust

Fondatron3000

I need a new exhaust for my 1992 civic hatch but idk what to get. No fart can stuff. Any suggestions? Also I don't want to pay for anything over 300$ soo yeah there's that

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Walker makes a decent OEM style exhaust.
Thermal Research makes a nice aftermarket exhaust, but may be over your budget.

Fondatron3000

What's wrong with OEM? What parts of the exhaust do you want to replace?
at first I thought it needed the whole exhaust but now apparently it only needs the muffler but I'd like to just go ahead and get at least a cat back exhaust, also I don't really want OEM style, I want a deeper sound but not too deep but not to loud so a happy medium

Drakon543

under 300 your looking at an eBay exhaust which is probably going to give you issues getting it to fit the way it's supposed to. also probably way too obnoxious for what you want. keep your eyes on your local Craigslist you might get to scoop up an exhaust used. if it was a good quality exhaust I wouldn't be against scooping one up used myself.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was able to pick up a Thermal Research exhaust for my Crx a few years back for $400.
It was unboxed but never used, wasn't any black on the inside piping.

Drakon543

I put an obx muffler on a camry a while back, just a muffler swap. it sounded pretty mellow with the silencer in only a little drone with the silencer open. didn't bother trying to remove it he didn't like the drone with the silencer flaps open.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
UPDATE: I bought a full stainless exhaust for 217$ brand new and I get my car back hopefully by the end of this week. Woot woot! Thanks to everyone for your help!!
I'm questioning the quality of the fitment and welds, as well as the sound.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Also I 100 percent apologize if you aren't being a jerk face, just that it's hard to tell sometimes when it's just words on a screen and there's so many ppl who troll so yeah sorry if ur just asking I didn't mean to be so defensive

Let's drop your blanket Linus and stop being defensive.
This isn't grade school, so I'm not being a "jerkface", and I've been here too long to troll, so lets use some common sense.
I'm asking because generally speaking, when it comes to Honda "tuning", you really get what you pay for.
So for $217, if you found a quality exhaust, it might be relevant for others to know the brand, don't ya think?
Also I question it for 2 more reasons, 1, for the price, and 2, do you know what to look for and what's out there when comparing exhausts?

Drakon543

as far as sound quality I'll go with everyone has thier preference. some like it quiet some like it loud and some like that super deep mellow exhaust and others I think legitamely enjoy being loud enough to annoy everyone. as far as fitment especially on small compact cars has the potential to be annoying with any brand. especially vehicles well into the 6 figure mileage. granted you get what you pay for generally so bigger brands will typically fit easier. as far as overall quality of the parts sometimes it's just hard to tell until you get some driving on it. these lower priced off companies wouldn't sell anything if thier parts looked like crap. outside of those you also get brands that like to hang in the shadows that most don't know about that actually make great parts. some of those companies can vary greatly in price. so im not trying to be a "jerkface" but post some pics and videos and some info of this exhaust. if anyone else likes the sound I'm sure they will buy a system from them. they may even sell parts for other vehicles.

Fondatron3000

as far as sound quality I'll go with everyone has thier preference. some like it quiet some like it loud and some like that super deep mellow exhaust and others I think legitamely enjoy being loud enough to annoy everyone. as far as fitment especially on small compact cars has the potential to be annoying with any brand. especially vehicles well into the 6 figure mileage. granted you get what you pay for generally so bigger brands will typically fit easier. as far as overall quality of the parts sometimes it's just hard to tell until you get some driving on it. these lower priced off companies wouldn't sell anything if thier parts looked like crap. outside of those you also get brands that like to hang in the shadows that most don't know about that actually make great parts. some of those companies can vary greatly in price. so im not trying to be a "jerkface" but post some pics and videos and some info of this exhaust. if anyone else likes the sound I'm sure they will buy a system from them. they may even sell parts for other vehicles.
https://www.protuninglab.com/cbe-hc923-hds-hc88-hfc.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=140848870378
I like the way it looks and sounds, but that's my preference, ik some of you won't like it but oh well

Drakon543

well if you like the way it looks and sounds and you were happy with the price and results then it doesn't really matter what anyone thinks. however just keep and eye on the weld points and such as you put miles on your new exhaust. as it's already in the car the fitment obviously went well the only other concern is one of the welds cracking. easy fix at most notable exhaust shops. that would be the only other concern with using cheaper exhaust parts.

Fondatron3000

well if you like the way it looks and sounds and you were happy with the price and results then it doesn't really matter what anyone thinks. however just keep and eye on the weld points and such as you put miles on your new exhaust. as it's already in the car the fitment obviously went well the only other concern is one of the welds cracking. easy fix at most notable exhaust shops. that would be the only other concern with using cheaper exhaust parts.
Yeah, my dad was worried about the welds when I bought it too, but he checked it over and said it seems good but I'll keep an eye out, thank-you

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looking at it and seeing how "economical it is and what it comes with, I'm going to venture to guess it will probably do one if not all of the following; not fit right, rattle, muffler internally will fall apart and piping will rust.
Cheap mufflers will break down internally and will get louder as it ages.
Time will tell if in a year or less you'll be buying another exhaust for it.

Drakon543

ya for the price the only thing I'd be concerned with is a weld cracking. if it rusts or the muffler fails it will most likely happen after a year or 2. a magnaflow or other top brand would still be on the car when the car rusted down around it. but as cheap as it is it will last long enough for him to decide if he wants to go further with the car or just get something else.