Dart block for Daily

A]]Th!ngSound

Aspiring to Boost
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I ran into a great trade not too long back for a great engine, and am now looking to put it into a nice EG hatch. It came with the following:

Dart block 84mm
Eagle H beam rods
Wiseco 8.5:1 HD Pistons
B16 head with appx. stage 2 PnP
Crower springs, retainers 3 angle valve job
GSR cams with AEM gears
Edelbrock Victor X intake mani
Moroso oil pan
Crank was knife-edged, micropolished and balanced
Paired with P28 Hondata s300 v2

Now, I want to put this into a hatch when I get one and make that a fun weekend street car that will cruise around town, do some pulls on the highway etc. and other general mischief. I thought this engine would be great with a solid turbo setup like precision 6262 or a gtx 3076R, 1200 cc injectors on 93 octane or higher. My buddy who does have some pretty good experience (Honda OG) told me it'd be a trailer queen. He says that Dart blocks especially with 84mm would have cooling issues and want to breath way too much for what I'm wanting. Going for 500-550 HP would mean detuning a great engine and probably hurting it.

I want to know if this is generally correct or if what I have would make for great fun and be fine cooling/hp target range-wise.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Those blocks aren't really meant to be used as a DD application. However, they're pretty much made to not have cooling issues, so you'd be ok there. I did a little digging on various sites and got mixed results, but most said it's fine to use, just overkill for most applications (ie a waste of money)

http://honda-tech.com/forced-induction-16/any-one-daily-drive-dart-block-boost-2614907/

Last post, looks like that guy was using one with no issues. If you got a good deal on it, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, go with an OEM block and have it sleeved.

A]]Th!ngSound

Aspiring to Boost
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Those blocks aren't really meant to be used as a DD application. However, they're pretty much made to not have cooling issues, so you'd be ok there. I did a little digging on various sites and got mixed results, but most said it's fine to use, just overkill for most applications (ie a waste of money)

http://honda-tech.com/forced-induction-16/any-one-daily-drive-dart-block-boost-2614907/

Last post, looks like that guy was using one with no issues. If you got a good deal on it, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, go with an OEM block and have it sleeved.
Thanks for the reply! I already have the setup waiting in my garage, or I *might* have chosen differently... it was a hell of a deal at the time, though.

At this point I could sell the setup as it is, but doubt I'd get more than 5k if I'm lucky. Then there's just taking everything off of that one aside from pistons since they're 84mm and use them in an LS block with sleeves, hoping to sell a bare dart block with pistons only to help make up for price on the rest. I'm thinking strongly on just getting a really good tune/turbo setup and see what happens. :D

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Using a dart block for normal DD usage is like using a bazooka to hunt squirrels. It'll work, but not necessary.

Bseries blocks are tough from factory. Hence why theyre still around 15-20 years after they quit making them.
Just take one to a machine shop and build a nice street set up.

I have a simple B20 non vtec P8R build. I DD and it will keep up with most V6's and walk NA 4cyl.