Best Civic Oil Filters: Toyo Roki, HAMP Synergy, OEM?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Best Civic Oil Filters:
Toyo Roki, HAMP Synergy, Fram, OEM?

In a search to find what are the best proven quality oil filters to use on my Civic, I came across multiple threads on several forums with overlapping information, but none more recent than roughly 3-4 years ago. I hope this will become a reasonably concise update. I choose to avoid mentioning the old filters, part numbers and brands that are no longer available so as to eliminate any confusion since the intent of this thread is to provide current and recent information. Keep in mind this thread is based on the apparent fact that all Hondas can use the same filters. All helpful suggestions and comments are welcomed.

The general consensus seems to be that all but one of the OEM Honda oil filters are not of great quality anymore because theyre all now made by Fram. Most agree that Fram oil filters are of low quality except for their ExtraGuard models which are a decent option. The one Honda exception is the OEM S2000 oil filter (15400-PCX-004) because its made by a Japanese company called Toyo Roki. Apparently, Honda felt the S2000 needed a higher quality oil filter than Fram can provide so they have Toyo Roki make them exclusively for the S2000.

Next in quality to Toyo Roki (OEM S2000) is the HAMP Synergy oil filters. (Honda AfterMarket Parts) These are parts designed in Japan by Honda for aftermarket use. Until 2007, HAMP filters were all made in Japan. Since then they are made in the US by Filtech but under HAMPs specifications. There are two HAMP filters that fit Civics;
- Small H1540-PFB-515 (2.75w by 2.5h) thats intended for the S2000 (or more performance tuned engines).
- Medium H1540-RTA-505 (2.75w by 3.5h) thats intended for all other Hondas.

The medium is the same height as the standard replacement Civic filters found in auto parts suppliers. The diameter of the canisters may be smaller but the seals sit equally. Note these filters apparently fit all D-series, B-series and some H-series & K-series (members, please confirm).

So what differentiates a standard oil filter from one of higher quality?
- Filter quality = paper (Fram) or Synthetics (Toyo Roki, HAMP, Purolator, Mobil One)
- Number of filter folds and depth (surface area) of the folds
- End caps on the internal filter = paper (Fram, cheap filters) or metal (Toyo Roki, HAMP)
- Spring/release Valves = flimsy plastic (Fram) which can potentially break or sturdier designed metal valves with completely different shapes for better function
- Anti-drainback valves = more like a seal. traditionally used Nitrile or higher quality Silicone.

Please note that despite many concerns with cheap internal parts, there isn't much research that shows they break often. Then again, the vast majority of used oil filters are not opened and inspected either to prove otherwise.

In short, the popular vote says that the best oil filters for Civics are the OEM S2000 Toyo Roki filter and the HAMP Synergy filters. Purolator and Mobil1 filters are apparently next in line but do receive mixed reviews so I haven't yet made a conclusion on them. I purposely do not refer to Royal Purple or Amsoil filters because I didn't really look into them yet. Royal Purple oil filters are relatively new and Amsoil is more for vigorous purposes, to my knowledge. I intend to update this thread every time I receive better information.

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There is much discussion on the justification between spending $5-$8 on standard oil filters compared to $10-$18 on higher quality filters, such as the aformentioned. The simple fact is higher quality filters have longer oil change intervals, some able to endure 8000-15000 miles of use before replacement. A standard filter should only endure roughly 3000-4000 miles before replacement. So it comes down to your preference of either using standard or synthetic oil and how frequently you choose to spend time performing or purchasing oil changes. Keep in mind that synthetics are designed to last 7000-15000 miles and legitimate research studies prove oil is suppose to get dirty while its working so dont only judge it by color.

Here are some ESTIMATED Oil Change Cost Numbers per roughly 15,000 miles of usage:

- Standard oil & cheap filter = $20-$25 X 4-5 changes @ 3-4k miles = $80-$125 (+time to get it done, fuel cost to get there & time used)

- Cheap-to-Moderate Synthetic Oil & Higher Quality Filter = $35-$50 x 2 changes @ 7k miles = $70-$100 (peace of mind using higher quality products in your engine, using less time)

- Toyo Roki (S2000) or HAMP Synergy filter w/ standard oil = using one $14-$18 filter while only changing oil 4-5 times at $15 @ 3-4k miles = roughly $90 (peace of mind in having a great filter for longer but still spending time to change just the oil)

- Toyo Roki (S2000) or HAMP filter & High quality Synthetic Oil = $60 X 1 change every 10k-15k miles = $60-$90 (peace of mind using high quality products to baby your engine, and changing your oil & filter possibly once a year)

**These are rough estimates used only to illustrate a point. I think the math speaks for itself.**

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice! I'm glad to help.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here is the Fram ExtraGuard PH3593A beside the HAMP Synergy Medium H1540-RTA-505

Here is a Mobil1 M1-104 Advanced Performance beside the same medium HAMP

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ahhh, I should've took a pic of my s2000 filter along with the hamp synergy. the s2000 is bigger as well.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Nice little article, I have to also second Honda OEM filters. I have built several mid to high hp Honda motors (300-763HP) and always used OEM Honda filters in the end. I cant tell you how many times I have cut open a Fram, WIX or other brand filter and found the media element breaking down, tears, holes, etc. This was due to the high pressure and in some cases high temperature (turbo applications) of the oil. High temp issues were usually alleviated/reduced by relocating the oil filter. I have seen Fram filters actually distort from the high temp and pressure.

Oil cooler is always placed after the filter as well to help prevent particulate from clogging up the channels in the cooler.

Blackie_No1

Are you sure about the part numbers of the hamp? Anything I've checked online States the hamp ending in 505 is suitable for all but the S2000??

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Are you sure about the part numbers of the hamp? Anything I've checked online States the hamp ending in 505 is suitable for all but the S2000??
You're correct. My mistake. I corrected the post.

Blackie_No1

Just wanted to be sure as a friend is kindly giving one to me and I recall checking it to make sure it would fit my d15.

I hope your not offended, I wasn't trying to make an arse out of you lol

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just wanted to be sure as a friend is kindly giving one to me and I recall checking it to make sure it would fit my d15.
I hope your not offended, I wasn't trying to make an arse out of you lol
Not offended at all. Im glad someone caught my error so we can keep this information accurate.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
UPDATE: I just found the following info. about the HAMP filters, which was posted on another website on Dec. 31, 2014.
http://japserviceparts.co.uk/blog-jsp/hamp-oil-filters-now-blue-new-part-number/

HAMP OIL FILTERS ARE NOW BLUE AND HAVE A NEW PART NUMBER

Thats right - HAMP filters have changed. The ever popular green filter has changed to blue ! Those who have been using HAMP filters for a long time will know that the original part number for HAMP oil filters was H1540-PLC-505. These were made in Japan by Toyo Roki.

At some point in 2008, the part number changed to H1540-RTA-505, with the filters being made by FILTECH in USA. As of October 2014, the part number has changed again to H1540-RTA-515, and the new part number is made by Toyo Roki in USA.

PICTURES

First up - size comparison.

The new H1540-RTA-515 filter is exactly the same size as the old filter - no change here !

photo HAMPcomparison_zpsac7fd4a6.jpg

Part number on the filter has changed

photo Part-No-Change_zps9ca729db.jpg
The filters are still made in the USA, but manufacturer has changed

photo Manufacturing_zps5e16d71d.jpg

FAQ's on the NEW filter

Q - Is the fitment the same ?
A- Yes - there is no change in size or fitment

Q - Why are other companies still selling the old green filters ?
A - Other companies may still have old stock of the Green Filters, but once stock runs out they will have to change to the new filters as the old Green filters have been discontinued by Honda

Q - Is there any difference in the quality ?
A - No, quality remains the same and there is no change in filter constuction

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As of October 2014, the part number has changed again to H1540-RTA-515, and the new part number is made by Toyo Roki in USA.
I found someone selling these in bulk for $13 shipped, US shipping.
H1540-PFB-515 is the part number for the shorter filters.
Reportedly, the shorter versions provide about 5psi more pressure because of it being smaller, but no loss of filtration or performance.

I'm thinking about upgrading to these to better filter our Element since it is getting up there in mileage!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I actually bought a couple recently, now that you mention it. You are correct on the info you provided as well. It's funny that you bring up your Element because I may be getting one soon as well because I'll be using the HAMP filter on it too.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
After some reading and comparing, I found a decent price on the old style OEM Honda filter, 15400-PLM-A01
I'm going to give them a try.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
After some reading and comparing, I found a decent price on the old style OEM Honda filter, 15400-PLM-A01
I'm going to give them a try.
Is that the part number to the oem filters before fram started making them?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The Honda part #15400-PLM-A01 oil filter was still made by Filtech, which is a better quality filter, than what replaced it in the 15400-PLM-A02 oil filter that is made by Fram. "One major difference is the A01 filters have metal end caps inside whereas the A02 filters have cardboard.".

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The Honda part #15400-PLM-A01 oil filter was still made by Filtech, which is a better quality filter, than what replaced it in the 15400-PLM-A02 oil filter that is made by Fram. "One major difference is the A01 filters have metal end caps inside whereas the A02 filters have cardboard.".
Do you know the oil change intervals these are rated for? I'd be using conventional oil with them if I can find some online to purchase

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would assume it falls under the same 7500 mile interval suggestion for the vehicle it's recommended for. Try researching it online and perhaps look up the vehicle compatability. Then see if any of those Hondas have higher mileage suggestions.

Last edited:

HockeyZombies

Respected
I just run the honda oem and swap only filters and top off at 50percent oil life. Napa Gold are great filters and i still like the fram ultra filter and Mobil 1 filters.