lethal6's VR6 GLI

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lol. Been a while. I feel like I am hording steering wheels trying to figure out what I want to do.

Have 3 so far, here are 2 of them in my cabinet in the living room for now. :lol:

Very tempting to sell. Couple thousand in just this cabinet.

Here it was in winter mode with the ladder all strapped in. Took it to work for the day to decorate the christmas tree in the showroom (was back in december obviously).

The other day. Had the bike strapped to the top to take it to my buddies house so his nephew could borrow it for a while. I don't ride anymore anyway.

It goes under the knife friday. While I was flushing out the 6 speed trans fluid on saturday, I found that the thermostat housing is leaking. My buddy had bought almost all of the parts for the cooling system with the exception of a few that I pieced together. Will have it all done at the same time. Crack pipe and all. They are well known to fail on these and this is usually the first sign.

I was going to do it myself, but the whole front of the car has to come off to gain access to the front of the motor. Which means releasing (and then recharging when done) the AC system and removing the core support, headlights, bumper, fans, radiator, etc. Downfall of having a big motor in such a small place. The job is quoted at 5 hours for a veteran tech and would take me, with no previous experience with MKIV or this motor, the better part of a day and I don't have the time with school taking up my free time.

Our shop rate for employees is only $45 an hour so it shouldn't sting too bad...:oops:

Last edited:

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lol. Been a while. I feel like I am hording steering wheels trying to figure out what I want to do.

Have 3 so far, here are 2 of them in my cabinet in the living room for now. :lol:

Very tempting to sell. Couple thousand in just this cabinet.

Here it was in winter mode with the ladder all strapped in. Took it to work for the day to decorate the christmas tree in the showroom (was back in december obviously).

[/URL]

The other day. Had the bike strapped to the top to take it to my buddies house so his nephew could borrow it for a while. I don't ride anymore anyway.

[/URL]

It goes under the knife friday. While I was flushing out the 6 speed trans fluid on saturday, I found that the thermostat housing is leaking. My buddy had bought almost all of the parts for the cooling system with the exception of a few that I pieced together. Will have it all done at the same time. Crack pipe and all. They are well known to fail on these and this is usually the first sign.

I was going to do it myself, but the whole front of the car has to come off to gain access to the front of the motor. Which means releasing (and then recharging when done) the AC system and removing the core support, headlights, bumper, fans, radiator, etc. Downfall of having a big motor in such a small place. The job is quoted at 5 hours for a veteran tech and would take me, with no previous experience with MKIV or this motor, the better part of a day and I don't have the time with school taking up my free time.

Our shop rate for employees is only $45 an hour so it shouldn't sting too bad...:oops:

You want to sell me that center steering wheel =) never seen a Porsche steering wheel in one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Like the bottom more than the top. Top seems too large to hold and it has paddle shifters

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You want to sell me that center steering wheel =) never seen a Porsche steering wheel in one
Trust me, it's very hard not to sell them. I don't know what kind of trouble I could get into, but I know there is an agreement that I signed saying that I "destroyed" them and can not resell them, even though it is only cosmetic things that are wrong and not functional problems.

Just couldn't bear throwing them away and put them on display. Then, I ran across a thread that had a guy with a MKIV and had one of these in his with the flappy paddles used for his air bag up and down. Was pretty sick and sparked me wanting to put one in mine.

Like the bottom more than the top. Top seems too large to hold and it has paddle shifters
They are both the same size, the bottom one just looks smaller because of the camera angle and the way it is sitting in the cabinet. Kind of partial to the bottom one as well because of it being all black. When I end up doing it, I will put them all on and see which one I think looks the best.

I have the 3rd one at work but don't remember if it is all black as well. It might be beige.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Trust me, it's very hard not to sell them. I don't know what kind of trouble I could get into, but I know there is an agreement that I signed saying that I "destroyed" them and can not resell them, even though it is only cosmetic things that are wrong and not functional problems.

Just couldn't bear throwing them away and put them on display. Then, I ran across a thread that had a guy with a MKIV and had one of these in his with the flappy paddles used for his air bag up and down. Was pretty sick and sparked me wanting to put one in mine.

They are both the same size, the bottom one just looks smaller because of the camera angle and the way it is sitting in the cabinet. Kind of partial to the bottom one as well because of it being all black. When I end up doing it, I will put them all on and see which one I think looks the best.

I have the 3rd one at work but don't remember if it is all black as well. It might be beige.

Sell it to me and we will pretend it never happened. When I was at work I use to do the same thing, some stuff I couldn't justify getting rid of so it would come home with me

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sell it to me and we will pretend it never happened. When I was at work I use to do the same thing, some stuff I couldn't justify getting rid of so it would come home with me

Shoot me an offer. :twisted:

Everything is fixed on the GLi that *knock on wood* should go wrong and am looking to start saving for fun stuff.

Have a diesel geek Sigma 6 short shifter on order as well as a stock steering wheel. Couldn't pass up on the steering wheel. VW put out their bi-yearly clearance sheets and I picked up a new wheel for $40. :shock: I couldn't let that go to waste. Same 3 spoke wheel that I have now, just NOS.

Still thinking about bags but am on the fence. I can get a set of PSS9 coils for cheap through our vendor...

Sigma 6:

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Pm a range you are looking for, I know what you paid ;)

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not to much to report. Been busy with school and extra money has gone to fixing up the house and getting the car paid off.

Did have a little to do some minor things though.

First picked up a steamer so I could take off the old pealing and faded tint. Going to send it out to get it retinted when our vendor gets a free day.

Also picked up some cheap Sparco wheels to take the winter duty. Put some Hakkapeliitta R2's on. Best winter tire I have had next to the blizzaks I had on the civic.

Put on a billet oil filter housing from gruvenparts. They just started making these for the 24v VR6 and they are top notch. My stock plastic housing was cracked and leaking bad and it was about the same price through VW as it was for this beauty. The choice was simple.

Last thing was the Sigma6 short shift kit and Audi 6 Speed shift knob + boot. Absolute best mod I have done so far. The shifter feels stock in your hand but the throw is improved 100%. It's shorter, tighter, and the 3 gear grinding is gone completely. Don't have pics yet.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That thing looks super clean.
It's very clean. Few minor things that will be fixed but aren't bad. In the one picture of the new wheels you can see the lower part of the bumper near the back tire was crudely touched up by my buddies wife when she rubbed something. To this day we have no clue what she used to touch it up, she never fessed up. We are guessing a bunch of silver nail polish. :lol:

Waiting for the funds to pick up a new hood. There is a weak point in the middle that I keep having to pop back out. The slightest pressure caves it in.

Once I get the new hood I will have our body shop fix the crappy bumper repair, paint the new hood, and paint the lower valance (have a new GLI one waiting to go on).

After that she will be fresh and clean. :thumbs up

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lookin good!

Ugghhh... This makes me want a damn gti.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
@ImportFan1

Mark! What coil overs do you have on your R32? I used the money I had started saving for air on paying the rest of the car off and have done some thinking. I want to go coil overs. They are half the price of air, even for the mid range sets and I get some good deals at work. Plus my priorities are moving around and I am thinking seriously about getting out of this rental and getting my own place.

I have vendors for H&R, Bilstein PSS9, or KW. I am sure there are more, but that is what I have narrowed it down to unless I get persuaded another direction.

Have done some stuff to it. Will get some pics up when it is light out.

- Put some later model MK4 Gli tail lights on it. Red/Smoked/Red/Smoked.
- Retrofit a homelink into the sunroof switch panel so I could get rid of the clunky garage door opener
- Finished the R32 brushed aluminum dash trim upgrade.
- Put in a Euro brushed aluminum head light switch. This one gives me the availability to have fog lights with just the parking lights on or with the low/high beams. The other one only gives the option to have them on with the low/high beams. Plus it gives me the option of rear fog.
- Finished the rest of the dome lights in L.E.D.
- Picked up the correct Thule visor for the roof rack. The one I had on it was from the civic and was way too short. I only ran it because I can't stand the whistling from the plain bars.
- Had the windows retinted finally.
- New windshield and put on a fresh aquapel treatment. Stuff is 100x better than RainX and lasts a LOT longer.
- New passenger wheel liner. The one on it is all torn and rubs when I have the 18's on it.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Weather has been s**t here to take pictures so they will be up in due time.

For now, got these in today. Going to go under the knife Tuesday.

ST XA made by KW. They are basically KW version 1 but aren't stainless.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ahhhhhh!! So excited. Coilovers are almost done. The GLi valance is getting painted tomorrow and my headlights are almost done. They are getting retrofitted. Mini morimoto H1 with amber blinker and fog light and GLi style (chrome bucket with black surround). I was going to retrofit them myself but found a dude that turned this into a business after he did his MK4 head lights and a couple of friend's. The deal was as cheap as if I would have gotten the parts to do it, it was that good.

I keep saying that I will get pictures...I will I promise. Damn I need a good camera. Cell pics suck...even though cell cameras are getting better, they still suck. Any recommendations for a good entry level DSLR?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Cleanest VW on the site! :lol:

Really though, it looks good! Get the damn pictures already! Ask @JohnS. about cameras, pretty sure he knows his s**t.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lol. Thank you. Mark's R32 is pretty sexy too though, and crashes CC is coming along nicely.

John disappeared along with tiggie. Both haven't been on since the "move".

I am itching to take some pics! It's still at VW and the rainy season has started it looks like. Maybe some wet shots!

On a side note, I have a 2014 Kia Optima as a rental that I can beat on for a couple of days. Not a bad car for a Kia, I am surprised they really stepped up their game.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Hehehe I love rental cars! I brought my RSX in to have the window replaced and they gave me a 2013 TL with 6k miles on it. It was a good day lol.

I rather have your rainy season than our the-cold-hurts-my-face season. :lol:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Luckily we never got a winter this year. I am used to the rain, doesn't bother me really. it's overrated here, people say it rains more than it does and it's more overcast usually than wet. My aunt gets way more rain in Oregon than we do here.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Buddy sent me these midway through the install.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
@lethal6 Apparently I missed this. I think they are FK Streetlines but I honestly don't remember. It's been a few years. Honestly, I blew the front shocks and ended out swapping the front back to brand new stock. The rears are still the coilovers though. I really just need to get the rear back to stock. No motivation to mod this car anymore.