CHILD'S *EK* ... finally i have an EK

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
4 days and 5,220 posts later...dang son!

I've really enjoyed going back and starting from the beginning and watching the "story" unfold. The ups and downs, family life and things not discussed. It's nice to see builds like this and watch the quality put fourth, along with doing it financially right, saving, not credit. I can relate in many ways with how things were done and the, "well, it's at this stage, I should just do this too while I'm at it." Obviously I've seen the car and your postings around, as well as the awesome photography work. But it was great to get a chance to get back on this board and dive into the thread.

Seeing the limited photos and brief discussion of the "old days" in the early 2000's era styling was a treat. I still find that to be such an inspiring era. All of the creative things people were doing and the custom work was great. I really enjoyed that part of my journey as well. While we are past it, it's a great look back at where we were and where we are today.

Awesome job in pushing through and putting together what you have here. And a late congrats for the second child on the way!

In for more!!!!

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
4 days and 5,220 posts later...dang son!

I've really enjoyed going back and starting from the beginning and watching the "story" unfold. The ups and downs, family life and things not discussed. It's nice to see builds like this and watch the quality put fourth, along with doing it financially right, saving, not credit. I can relate in many ways with how things were done and the, "well, it's at this stage, I should just do this too while I'm at it." Obviously I've seen the car and your postings around, as well as the awesome photography work. But it was great to get a chance to get back on this board and dive into the thread.

Seeing the limited photos and brief discussion of the "old days" in the early 2000's era styling was a treat. I still find that to be such an inspiring era. All of the creative things people were doing and the custom work was great. I really enjoyed that part of my journey as well. While we are past it, it's a great look back at where we were and where we are today.

Awesome job in pushing through and putting together what you have here. And a late congrats for the second child on the way!

In for more!!!!
Yeah, things were so different before....a big hands on learning curve for the most part, but like you said, it was fun! Thanks for the good words man, We're days away from our little girl being here so it's exciting times.

As far as the car goes.....*dun dun dun* everything is all shaken up now. All of my original plans have been scrapped, and I was forced to make a move with the car. Oil has been bypassing the pistons and burning up in the head in the #1 cylinder along with some scarring on the cylinder walls from driving around all "race car" status daily. I noticed the burning oil and hoped it was the more common valve stem seals and/or my head gasket. Sooooooooo, my plans for boost are out of the window because I don't want to rebuild my engine to be in stock specs, and I don't want to rebuild a beastly turbo longblock and have so much power that it's ridiculous to drive around. Also, since I don't have a second engine in my garage already, this NA build will also not be as big as I wanted to do.

It will be a very sensible but aggressive build. A 88 bore X 99 stroke 12.5:1 CR setup with Supertech valve train to support Prayoonto stage 4 cams. Exhaust will be beefed up with a K-Tuned big tube header, custom v-band 3" exhaust with K-Tuned turn down muffler. The 80mm TB will stay along with a redesigned 3.5" intake and a custom intake manifold from either All-In Fab or K-Tuned if it becomes available to me sooner than later. Most of these parts have already been ordered and should be arriving soon, so this is happening for sure. I was forced to step up the pace with this due to my engine issue. Oh well....it's that car life lol. I'll get pics up for the non-readers haha

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
While that really sucks to be forced into those repairs, I like this plan much more...haha. Looking forward to whats next!

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hahaa, you never noticed my license platesssss

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Awesome as always! Looking forward to seeing it back together and hear how it compares.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Awesome as always! Looking forward to seeing it back together and hear how it compares.
Yeah i'm excited for this one, I got lucky and i'll be having a few extras that I didn't plan on thrown into the build right from the start. Going to be adding some DPI 650cc injectors into the mix and they should ship out today, so big thanks to Donkey Power Injectors for helping solve my fueling concerns for the next setup!

Got this bad boy in the mail just the other day from K-Tuned, their somewhat new big tube swap header. This thing is pretty damn nice to say the least. Pics don't do it justice, and it just looks mean next to a few other k swap headers we have at the shop. I think it'll do well. Going to add a flex pipe and V-band to the header once I get pricing on those pieces and my exhaust piping arrives. here's a few pics...

since everybody is a weld expert

The entry is smooth from the flange to the runners (it looks like there is a rough spot where that shadow is at runner 3, but it's not) bad photography lol. This was one of the first things I looked at since I remembered my first generation ram header had some roughness at the flange.

I need to slide the pieces all the way together later and throw the spring clips on, just mocked this up for a pic

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well a minor change in plans. The Prayoonto stage 4 3 lobe cams are out of stock for the next 3-4 weeks, and after speaking with Norris about my setup, he suggested his stage 3 would work well for me and I went with his word. So we shall see how it does in the end. It may allow for a more broad powerband over the bigger stage 4.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Since we have an old version SSR header sitting at the shop, i snapped a couple of pics for a visual comparison with my k-tuned big tube header.

*no, i won't be able to provide a dyno comparison between the two since it isn't my header*

the 815whp monster K24a2 turbo strapped down...makes me jealous

the bucket...waiting on parts to show up

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Header looks great...

Congrats on the baby
Thanks man!

Picked up a valve cover gasket, some necessary Hondabond, and a HPT timing chain guide from AutoFair Honda.

Also got some BNIbag oem floormats. I need to buy some new carpet eventually, but I figured i'd grab these floormats while I was on Afhkparts haha.

I looked for quite awhile for an Apexi GT spec muffler just to have something everybody wouldn't have but I threw in the towel on it and decided to try out the K-tuned turn down muffler. This thing is pretty lightweight!

Went up to the shop to teardown my engine so the block can be sent off
(these are basically my own reference pictures but im sharing anyway)
Stock RBB oil pump dished out 8100 rpm revs daily

RBB oil pump removed

Stupid shaped rod bolts. I thought they would be regular 12 point

Pistons and rods removed. Crank looked clean

A little bearing wear

Lurking

K23 engine build for the CRX and a K25 (i rounded up ftw) for me

rey_boricua

2000 EM1 B16A2T
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
cant wait to see the finished product. everytime I see this thread it makes me want to spend money on my EM1

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
cant wait to see the finished product. everytime I see this thread it makes me want to spend money on my EM1
hahaha, do it man. Spend a little and enjoy it a little more.

I went ahead a picked up a HPT valve spring compressor tool. I like having these little specialty tools lying around to make life easier.

DPI came to my rescue with these nice 650cc injectors, clips, and pins. Now I don't have to max out my little RDX's.

Still waiting for my cams to arrive (unless they have shown up at the shop and I just haven't heard about it yet lol) and my exhaust piping from KTeller. For whatever reason....the piping shipped a week after ordering it from Florida....and is now in Chicago with an expected delivery date of friday. Never knew Florida to Houston was such an issue...