93 mini me idles fine, but has no power

Nick H

Respected
So I have a 1993 civic with a d16y7 block and a y8 head. Me an a buddy of mine just replaced the head gasket, intake gasket, exhaust gasket, valve cover gasket and, spark plug. The car ran and drove fine before we replaced everything but now it idles just fine but sounds really loud when I rev up the engine, almost like its sucking in to much air and it has no power when trying to drive, it only goes up to maybe 4k if I'm lucky then if I put it to the floorboard it goes no further. Any help ir suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The engine is louder but the idle is still ok? Sounds like an exhaust leak of some sort. I'd double check that exhaust gasket.

Is the CEL on?

Nick H

Respected
That's kind of what I thought, or maybe the intake gasket wasn't seated correctly, it's a crappy paper one, I wanted graphite but they had to order it and I couldn't wait. I figured out the problem though! It turns out the timing was off a notch.. We checked it like three times but it was kinda by eyeball because I don't have a cover so we couldn't use a timing light, I just lined up the bottom notches and top on the cam. Thanks for the reply though!=)