Project HX: Efficient Style

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's great MPG HeX! I try to stay at 70mph on the highway which puts me right at 3k rpms. That doesn't last very long tho, usually running late to work, or just want to hurry home lol
I'm sure I could squeeze out better efficiency if I drove at more optimal speeds and with the windows up more often, but I prefer fresh air.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm considering some options and would like your input in case I haven't factored in something else.

1. I want to powder coat my muffler tip. I want no finished metals on the exterior. I'm deciding between either color-matching it to the rims or going black. I worry that black would just blend in & wash out with the car.

2. The grille I recently purchased at the junkyard is silver, which matches with nothing else. Its also a little rusty and tarnished so it needs new paint anyways. Plus I will be cutting it to fit around the fog lights. I'm almost dead set on powder coating the lower grille in black so it matches with the upper grille in color and style. However, I flirt with the idea of also color-matching it with the rims, but I think having them in the rim color will be too much and still not look as good as in black.

3. For months I've been mulling over whether or not to install the EX trunk spoiler. It seems to make the rear end look too tall, in relation to the front end, on most Civics that have it. However, I haven't yet seen a side profile of the EX spoiler on a Civic with a rear lip. I'd appreciate any pictures anyone may have that'll help my decision.
The muffler tip looks like it already kind of matches your wheels. :O I'm not too familiar with anyone powder coating their muffler tip. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about that. Could be awesome, could be.. Not as awesome. :lol:
Nah. Its a chrome tip I scrubbed with steel wool to emulate polished aluminum. I hate chrome finishes.
Do you have any particular examples that have influenced you, or is this your own idea?
Its just my own idea driven by the fact that I don't want any finished metal surfaces on the exterior. I may just leave it but I like the idea that everything on the exterior goes with a scheme.
I don't think the lower grille being silver would look good, personally. Black is a good option :thumbup:
Thats how I feel, which is why I'm almost positive I'll just go with black unless someone has a better idea I haven't yet considered.

Does anyone else have any comments or suggestions?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, my muffler tip project will have to wait thanks to some jerk who stole the tip off my car while I was in a store. The sad thing is I think I saw the guy & helped him avoid hitting another car. At least I know if I see him again Im "reacquiring" the tip.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here is my first little project of the new year.

DupliColor Graphite Grey Metallic (a Honda color) was used, which is the same color I painted the rear emblems and center caps. I carefully taped around the existing recessed trim line that gives the illusion of a separate piece around the shifter. There is no such line up top so I taped where it would be. I wet-sanded using 150, 400, 1000 and 2000 to take off the faux-leather grain. No primer was used given the sanding grits used. I've used DupliColor spray paints long enough to know whether or not primer is needed. The finished product came out acceptable considering I did it at night without optimal lighting.

The shifter, which I dyed myself, is fading after nearly 5 years so I order another. I found a fantastic deal I couldn't pass on for two different Ichibahn shift knobs. They'll be arriving soon. While one of those knobs is installed, I plan to re-dye this knob since its fine otherwise.

CHILD, I may be distantly catching up to your 6-7 knob collection, although I wont compare to your variety.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This will be powder-coated in black before installation.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
CHILD, I may be distantly catching up to your 6-7 knob collection, although I wont compare to your variety.
:shock: challenge accepted haha. I like the different driving feel I get from just switching out a shift knob. There's a couple more I want to get my hands on sometime soon.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:shock: challenge accepted haha. I like the different driving feel I get from just switching out a shift knob. There's a couple more I want to get my hands on sometime soon.
Well, dont just get more on my account. LOL. I'll have to try a weighted knob at some point to see why you're so enamored with them.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Haha. It's not just because of you. I've been wanting them, just haven't had the extra cash to spend on them. I have a big range of weights. The two others I want are on both ends, one titanium and the other is weighted and countersunk.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Updated clean shot on a sunny day.

Here's a better shot of the recently welded-on new MagnaFlow muffler tip. Zoom-in of it coming soon.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I love that rear lip...

Steven Johnson

Respected
I'm extremely impressed with how clean your HX is. I need to get a lot of dings out, repaint and fix all the little issues with my D16y8 before I can even catch up. Granted, mine is red. =) What's next on the list?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm extremely impressed with how clean your HX is. I need to get a lot of dings out, repaint and fix all the little issues with my D16y8 before I can even catch up. Granted, mine is red. =) What's next on the list?
Thanks. Right now, finances are tight so Im waiting to get a new AC compressor then change the tints.

Steven Johnson

Respected
Thanks. Right now, finances are tight so Im waiting to get a new AC compressor then change the tints.
I hear ya about the finances being tight. I'm in a big of a struggle myself. It's weird, I have an AC compressor in my Ex, but there is no belt on it and I have never seen/heard it kick on, same with my car fans. So, that's a whole issue within itself. :P What's wrong with the tints? Just fading?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I hear ya about the finances being tight. I'm in a big of a struggle myself. It's weird, I have an AC compressor in my Ex, but there is no belt on it and I have never seen/heard it kick on, same with my car fans. So, that's a whole issue within itself. :P What's wrong with the tints? Just fading?
You need a belt on the compressor if you want it to work.

As for my tints, I have a few issues with them as it is but I also want to upgrade to UV protective film.

Steven Johnson

Respected
You need a belt on the compressor if you want it to work.

As for my tints, I have a few issues with them as it is but I also want to upgrade to UV protective film.
I've always used a film called "3M" and it has life-time warranty. Not sure on what kind of you tint you get in your area, but if you can get 3M, I'd recommend it. Claims to never fade.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
3M is a brand and their window film carries a "limited" lifetime warranty and only if it is professionally installed. They have over 10 different "models" of window film from basic film to protective and safety film. They don't claim to not fade, to be fair they claim to never turn purple which is a very common problem with inferior films.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just realized I hadnt updated this thread with the '00-'06 Honda Insight spare tire I added last year (its posted in another thread). Its a 14" aluminum rim and measures 5 inches wide by 21 inches in height at the tire. It fits perfectly on all side and sits maybe 1/4 of an inch below the cover panel. Being an aluminum rim, it weighs about 14.5 lbs compared to the original steel 13" rim that weighs about 19.5 lbs. These are tire-mounted weights.

Last edited:

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I love the attention to detail here. Down to the weight of the spare tire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I love the attention to detail here. Down to the weight of the spare tire.
Thats just how I do. That stock 13" spare just annoyed me too much when used. With all the weight savers out there and those interested in spun weight & such, the info should help others in the long run. After all, that is the point of forums.

Last edited: