Parking lights not working help please

Andrew467

i just put in new fog lights when I went to tap into my parking lights theparking lights stop working need help asap

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Check your fuses 100 to 1 you blew a fuse. Don't just look at them, actually test them.

Andrew467

Yeah just did that after work and I blew the fuse now I got fog lights running thanks for the help

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No problem. When it comes to electrical, fuses should be the first place to look. Most of the time it's the simplest thing.

Andrew467

now that my fog lights are connected the work for a while then the fuse blows do you know why?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Something is shorting them out. It's either a bad connection or you tapped into a wire you shouldn't have.

Andrew467

There's 3 wires A green, black, and red I I tapped into the red wire and everything works fine but then the fuse blows I put a 10 fuse the regular one was 7.5 Do you think thats to big of a fuse or is that fine I'm trying 10 to see if it can hold the power

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER put a larger fuse in than what it calls for. I am guessing that you have never had to deal with a car fire before? That is a sure fire way to melt wires which in turn lead to fires.

Why did you assume the correct wire is the red one? Did you test power to the wire? To be honest, no everything isn't working fine or the fuse wouldn't be blowing. It is blowing because it is telling you there is something shorting out or there is too much draw on the wire.

Why are you tapping fog lights into a wire that is only meant to handle low wattage parking lights? That might be your problem. Google the right way to wire fog lights and go from there. BTW, the fogs should be on their own fuse just as your head lights are on their own fuse as well as the tail lights and the parking lights. Fog lights should also be on a relay. Do you have a relay wired in?

Andrew467

Yeah I odered the kit on eBay came with with its own fuse and relay but so many people told me it was easier to just tap into the parking lights and it's the red wire because the green is the signal light and black is the ground...do you think the problem is that I have both fog lights connected to one side of the left parking lights??? And thanks a lot I'm taking the fuse out as soon as possible the car is sitting for now it's just been a project for me sorry about all the questions I appreciate the advice