1998 Civic Build (Junkyard build)

MyLittleTeg

So I found this car super cheap broke down with a million problems. I bought it for the price of a shell so I am going to do a cheap and clean budget build.

D16Y8 motor, 5 speed vtec To put it nicely, its rough...

Half assed paintjob (prepped for paint)
red engine bay (fixed)
headliner is tore (fixed)
seats ripped (crv seats installed)

But the pros

VTEC (now vtec-e d16y5)
5speed
Lowered
2.5 inch stainless exhaust all the way back
4-2-1 headers

Plans for the car......
Paint
Windshield
Save up for a b swap

" I’d rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me. "

Last edited:

MyLittleTeg

No bent valves. The dumb kid I got it from said timing belt jumped time....the crank pulley is loose. Either broke the crankshaft or the pulley is loose. Had to go to work so I'll put it on the lift this afternoon and tear into it. Hope for the best lol

" I’d rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me. "

MyLittleTeg

She's alive. Stripped tensioner pulley bolt. Sometimes its the simples things

MyLittleTeg

Cleaned up the bay a little. Put a new tensioner on it, and some block seal just due to the mix matched head and block. Don't want it to leak any water into the cylinders.

MyLittleTeg

Okay so she started dumping white smoke. Bad rings so I picked up a d16y5 vtec-e motor dirt cheap and I'm just now getting the civic on the lift and getting started on it.

Will post more pics once I get the old motor out of the way

MyLittleTeg

Pulled out the old one and put the new one in. Ran out of daylight so I'll finish in the morning.

MyLittleTeg

Okay so new motor is in and after switching an ecu, it runs great. New cold air intake and battery and she's ready to drive. Planning on painting it soon

MyLittleTeg

Ok so I haven't updated this thread in a while. I painted the bay black and painted my reservoirs white. Also took the plastidip off my rims and painted my housings black. And today I sanded the car. Will be taking it in for paint Monday and having it done a candy blue.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So I found this car super cheap with the timing belt super loose. D16Y8 motor, 5 speed vtec
Surprised nobody caught this, but before you swapped motors, that's not a vtec head.
I don't know who told you that, but it isn't.

MyLittleTeg

Surprised nobody caught this, but before you swapped motors, that's not a vtec head.
I don't know who told you that, but it isn't.
Good eye [emoji14] actually that's why I decided to swap a new motor instead of fixing the old one. They had a d15b7 head (non VTEC) on a d16y8 VTEC block. And after tearing the old motor down I found out it was just a hg lol. So I'm looking for a complete y8 head and will use it as a spare for my y5

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The spark plugs on the wrong side was the tell.

For the time and money, I would have simply bought new black housing headlights for a few reasons.

They're affordable, about $65 shipped new.
Saves time and messing with splitting your OEM lights apart and hoping you get a tight seal when you put them back together.
Your old ones have that infamous haze/fade to them that never comes out.

MyLittleTeg

The spark plugs on the wrong side was the tell.

For the time and money, I would have simply bought new black housing headlights for a few reasons.

They're affordable, about $65 shipped new.
Saves time and messing with splitting your OEM lights apart and hoping you get a tight seal when you put them back together.
Your old ones have that infamous haze/fade to them that never comes out.
Yeah I will get new headlights soon but I was bored and wanted to do a cheap mod. [emoji3]

MiniMeRatrod

Respected
Baked factory lights ara way nicer, and realy not time consuming. Custom mods are way better than store baught, And the 3m headlight refinishing hit worked good on mine and was 15$

before

CAM00048.jpg
after
CAM00052.jpg
CAM00054.jpg

Yeah I will get new headlights soon but I was bored and wanted to do a cheap mod. [emoji3]

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Baked factory lights ara way nicer, and realy not time consuming. Custom mods are way better than store baught
The word is "bought".

It's still quicker to simply order them, they're inexpensive and it's not really a custom mod, when you can buy it.
Plus with new lights, you don't have the haze, fade and scratches of 15 yr old ones.

MiniMeRatrod

Respected
people start at the bottom and move up, give people a chance instead of being condensending and negative, then everyone can learn.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Definitely looks better without the plastidip