2000 Civic Ex Build Ideas

Jared "Unce" L

Respected
Hey guys I'm new here and I just picked up '00 Civic Ex for 200$. Flawless interior, tranny, clutch, suspension, everything, but with a blown motor. Kid I bought it off of ran it for a day with zero oil. Needless to say the D16Y8 that was in it is finished. Snapped a rod and stuck it sideways in the cylinder. Its' the Ex version, so no V-TEC or iV-TEC. I have a deadline of mid July to have the car in drive-able condition. What I'd like to do is get a relatively cheap full motor to just drop in now to have it running and modify it later. I've heard that the b18a's and the b18b's are good motors, and they seem relatively cheap (650-1000$). I've also heard that they make decent hp when turboed and bored with forged insides. Also, I've heard that the K20a is basically the dominant motor, yet its very expensive to upgrade? What are some setup ideas that aren't horrifically expensive that can be upgraded for huge hp later down the road? Budget for a motor now is about 1500-2000. Thanks!

eldridgeandrew

Hey Jared. I have the same car as you, a 2000 EX with a D16Y8. The D16Y8 motor in fact does have V-TEC. Only the EX and Si models were equipped with vtec engines. Vtec for me kicks in at 5600 rpm.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
find another D16Y8, send it off to be rebuilt. drop it in with a new clutch and re-sufaced flywheel and drive it another 200K miles,

And if the pistons and rods are in decent shape, you just need a hone, new oil pump, water pump and gaskets. Maybe even fresh OEM springs.

that will be way under 2000 bucks. So hit up your local salvage yard.