My 95 Civic Ex died and won't start again.

tylerlee101

Hey guys I'm new to Hondas, I just bought mine about two weeks ago off of a guy who lives like an hour away, when I bought it all that was wrong was a small oil leak which wasn't really bad, it would leak about 1/2 a quart over a week. but I was driving her the other day an was going about 60 an she just cut out, like died, an it being a 5 speed I pop started it, an went for about another half mile but then she died again an wouldn't turn back over, before it died it was making a weird sound but it didn't sound too serious (ex. rods or anything knocking) so I had her towed home an the next day checked all my fuses, an the battery. which all read good on the meter. she was a little low on oil but after I put a quart an a half in it read just fine. the motor isn't locked up, an I'm 99% sure it's an electrical problem. but when I try to turn it over the lights on the dash still dim, check engine light an all, but nothing happens, fuel pump is fine, an all that. it also wouldn't pop start or jump start. please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks!!!!!!

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
To start off: Please in EVERY thread you make asking for help 1) The title should reflect the question at hand. Titles like this usually get passed over by most of the members. 2) The first line in your thread should have the vehicle year, model, engine/transmission <---this is a big one because of the amount of people that swap out the engines, and any modifications done that would reflect or help with the questions at hand.

*I changed the title to reflect the question*

Now to the body of the thread.

First off 1/2 a quart in a week is a very significant leak. That isn't a small oil leak at all.

Second, on a car that only holds like 5 quarts...a quart and a half low is NOT a little low. That is 30%

How do you know the pump is good? How was the battery tested? Was it test for voltage or an actual load test? You need to have it load tested. I have had batteries here at work that test fine on the voltage but fail completely under a load test.

How are you 99% sure it is an electrical problem? Because the lights dim? That could be a bad ground, battery, alternator, or even a bad ignition switch.

When was the last tune up? How are the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc. How long ago was the fuel filter replaced?

This could be a many number of things from a bad ground to a bad main relay to a bad battery to a poorly tuned vehicle to a....well I could go on forever.

tylerlee101

it is a d16z6, and my bad man. I'm new to the forums. I checked the battery with a tester an it came up good, and all my fuses came up good also. as for when was everything last replaced, I couldn't tell you honestly. I just bought the car two weeks ago.. I have a buddie who is a mechanic but doesn't mess with Honda much, like I said I'm new to them. but he told me the fuel pump was good, the fuses were good, and the battery was good. oh and yes it was a voltage test, how do I go about testing the load? but also, it was running fine then this happend all at once. I've been hearing Clutch Starter Safety Switch a lot but not sure. thanks for you help though man!

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The brand doesn't matter to be honest. A car is a car if the mechanic is a good one. The troubleshooting is all the same for the most part and the only thing specialized honda mechanics have on "universal" ones is the tricks of the trade and short cuts. I don't care the brand, you put anything in front of me and I can usually figure it out unless it is a newer vehicle and I need some kind of specialized scan tool.

If you don't have the equipment to load test the battery, some auto parts stores do it (at least around here they do). Their testers should be able to tell if cells are bad or if it is beginning to sulfate as well. Also might check a place that sells batteries and reman ones, same places that take old/used batteries and give you money for them.

Clutch switch is an easy test. It is just a contact switch so if you take it out you can lead test the ends of it with a multimeter and see if there is resistance between the 2 points when dormant or when pressed (I forget which way the system is in these, I think it has no power when dormant and then power is sent through it when pressed). You can test to see if it is bad also by jumping the connector. If you jump the connector and the car starts, you know the switch was bad.

Running fine then happening all at once is usually how it works. Vehicles never brake down when it is convenient and never when you expect them to.

tylerlee101

okay thank you! I'm going to test out the clutch switch tomorrow by jumping it. and my I think my stepfather has the equipment to load test if not I will try what you suggested also. anything else you would think it could be? don't mean to bother you, you just seem to know your stuff. like I said it is getting power an everything, it just doesn't crank over.

tylerlee101

the only dim when I go to turn it
over, like it normally would. but then it's just nothing. and I've only checked the fuses an battery.

conor97hx

I'd recommend going to a local parts store and getting the starting and charging system checked and start from there.