97 Civic Ex Won't crank after hitting deer, help!

ScottyEj8

On Tuesday day morning I hit a deer going about 40mph and when I pulled over I cut off the car and every since then it Hasn't wanted to start up. When I turn the key over it makes the clicking sound and you can hear the fuel pump come on. I have checked all the fuses and replaced the distributor cap and rotor but nothing works. I have been reading online the other thing it could be is the starter but I believe that's not it, so I am honestly out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance!

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you only hear a clicking sound and the motor doesn't turn over its most likely the starter motor. It's probably just a coincidence that hitting the deer made it quit working

AllStockHatch

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you only hear a clicking sound and the motor doesn't turn over its most likely the starter motor. It's probably just a coincidence that hitting the deer made it quit working
This.

Or possibly the battery post or connector may have a little corrosion on it. A bad connection would do the same thing.

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Get a volt meter and check to make sure you battery is able to supply 12 volts. Also, check all of your ground cables. Pull the spark plugs make sure they are clean. you can even test them for spark.

MichaelMcClernon

What are you guys talking about! It's definately not the starter or battery. The starter is clearly turning the motor over in the video he posted.

So, with that said.

Make sure you have spark man, maybe when you hit it the distributor messed up and something broke internally, just remove a spark plug and put it in its plug wire and lay the spark plug against the motor making sure the metal is touching metal because thats how its grounds, if you see a spark when you try to start it, you have spark. then make sure you have getting to the cylinder, you can crack the where the fuel line meets the fuel rail and it will spray out if you have fuel pressure. Then hook it back up. crank the motor a few times and check the spark plug and see if it has fuel on it.

Now we can move on.

If all thats working come back...