Possible tdc problem

Crystal82

Forgive me I know several threads have been posted about this but I haven't found what I needed yet. I have a 94 civic with a b16a swap, obd1 wiring and ecu. Cel is throwing a code 8. Car still runs good only issue is a little bit of a hard start compared to what it was, and no vtec. Any ideas on what to check? Tia.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1) 8 is usually the TDC sensor and it is located in the distributor. Have to replace the whole thing. Could also be that the timing is off.
2) Check timing.
3) Get a known good distributor, put it in, clear the codes, run it, scan again.
4) VTEC will NOT work with a CEL on.

*All information easily found by google searching.*

Crystal82

1) 8 is usually the TDC sensor and it is located in the distributor. Have to replace the whole thing. Could also be that the timing is off.
2) Check timing.
3) Get a known good distributor, put it in, clear the codes, run it, scan again.
4) VTEC will NOT work with a CEL on.

*All information easily found by google searching.*
Thanks for the response, I don't have access to a good used distributor yet, however I have checked timing which was good, and the resistance in the tdc sensor..... Which was also good. I read something about possibly it being a bad ignition coil, could that be correct?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Would also lead to a bad distributor as the coil in that generation is internal IIRC. Anything is possible. These codes are just generic markers for us in leading to proper diagnosis. I would source a proper distributor before going ahead as you are only left clutching at straws right now.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Check the wiring on the distributor plug, I do believe it is a black wire with yellow stripe blk/yel that the pin comes out of the plug and causes this. I pulled my dizzy one day and put it all back how it was and then it wouldn't start and gave me cel code 8 also, I found the wire and pushed it into the plug all the way and it fired right up.