Help with motor swap

Addiction96

ok guys this is my first thread on here. im hoping to get alil help and advice from all you wonderful civic fanatics like me. ok so heres the low down. ive got a 96 dx 5spd hatch. i just picked up a complete parts car 99 ex coupe 5spd. nose is smashed. so im going to use that for my donor/transplant into my hatch. just need to know any n all tricks or short cuts. if theres anything special that needs to be done. any diagrams or pictures would help too. if you need additional info please let me know. thanks guys!

itzrivera

IDK if this had to be done, but I have to remove the intake mani to get the last nut that held down the engine harness to the motor. It also made it easier to disconnect the last few plugs behind the motor by the driver side.

Also, don't forget to disconnect the exhaust from the header haha Good luck

MichaelMcClernon

Ok so here we go.

First off you shouldnt have bought a 99 to fix a 96.. i know they look the same but 96-98 is obd2a and 99-00 is obd2b.

With that being said, youre not screwed or anything.

I wouldnt have taken the motor harness off the engine because its easier to pull with it on really, you should have just unplugged it, unbolted it from the firewall, and pulled it through the firewall. Anyways, not a big deal.

So now, lets see what you have to do to swap it. Because its more than you think.

Your'e gonna need the engine harness and interior harness, yes youre gonna have to pull the dash on both cars as the obd2a and obd2b harness wont work with eachother.

So, swap the cabin harness, engine harness, and sub harness.

Swap the motor out of the 99 into the civic, also use the p2p ecu out of the 99.

Now, that all thats done, it should be fine, but youre definately gonna need to do all that. Its not as simple and just putting the motor into the other car. They also came from factory with different motor so things are a little different.

Im sure theirs ways around swapping all the harness's but i guarentee the motor wont run correctly if you dont. This is the right way to do it and have the motor run perfect.

Good Luck.

Addiction96

ok so i decided to use the 96 dx hatch as a parts car. i picked up a 00 dx coupe to do the vtec swap into. both being the OBD II B platforms hopefully the swap will go alot easier for me. does anyone have a thread for the vtec wires i would need to run? or pictures

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There was a thread on here (I think it covered a GSR swap) but it outlined how to wire in vtec......your exact sentence in a google search will probably show you how to wire it in...

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^ what he said. Unfortunately, the sticky threads on here don't really get into the specifics of the wiring, but since it is such a popular swap, there are likely MANY sources with the exact wiring changes on Google search, and possibly a walkthrough or two on Youtube