Engine Over Heating

Hi Guys,

I'm one of the lovers of Civic, but my car is making me feel so bad about it. I already ask some of our local Mechanics and granted all their request on parts needed to be replace.

Details of my Car

Model: Honda Civic VTI AT 4 Speed
Year: 1999
Engine: PH16

Problem 1: Engine Overheating Specially on traffic Lights. (Not Yet Solve)
Symptoms: Water/Coolant from radiator transfers to the reservoir tank.

Problem 2: Control Panel with Engine Light will on sometimes twice a week. (Not yet Solve)

Parts already replace for Problem 1:
1) Head Gasket 3 months ago.
2) Radiator assy.
3) Original Thermostat
4) Original Thermoswitch
5) Water Pump

Parts already replace for Problem 2:
1) Vtec Solinoid base on diagnosis of mechanic

Can anyone help me up on this I'm loosing money and I want it to be perfect as well.
Thank you.

Regards,
Gerhild August R. Navero

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome: to ClubCivic!

When you replaced all the cooling components, did you properly bleed the system? Any access air in the lines can cause overheating.
To properly diagnose, you should also find out exactly what that CEL is on for. I'm sure you guys have code scanners available there, so if you do, plug one in yourself and see what the engine light code is. This way you can go by the code itself and not just on a mechanics best guess.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wait, so you replaced the head gasket and didn't replace the thermostat? Why? It's cheap and you where already in there.

Replace the thermostat and bleed the system correctly.

Scan for codes and report back.

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Okay, the first thing we need to know is when you replaced the head gasket did you mill your block or head. Also, what kind of gasket did you use? And finally did you follow the honda torque pattern and specs when installing the head?

Im_Expired

You say it overheats when stopped. If it stays within normal running temperature while driving down the road, yiu may want to check your cooling fan. Check relay, check fuse, make sure it is plugged in propperly. Also you should have a bleeder valve on the thermostat housing. Break the valve loose using a 10mm( I believe it's a 10mm may be an 8mm) and fill the cooling system until coolant comes out the bleeder valve at a steady rate.

CRX_dude

copyright 2006 omgwtflol
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
maybe the heater core has a leak, turn your heater on full blast, does the needle on the dash go down a bit?