1996 Civic LX - First Honda, making some sounds

Highwalker

So I bought a 1996 Civic LX for a grand. Odometer says 140k (original motor, might not be true though) and its been sitting for a good 4 months now. It's got the stock airbox, seems pretty much bone stock aside from the removal of the resonator box, used to have a system it looks like, there's a blue wire running through from the battery to the trunk that doesn't connect to anything. and it still has a Kenwood head unit. And there's a stabilizer bar in the trunk.

Here's my issue: when I'm in gear and take my foot of the gas the car seems to chug, like something is rubbing and slowing it down as it idles. It's kind of a grinding sound. Please let me know! This is the only thing I have any worries about.

Also, as I said it sat for 4 months before I bought it. The guy I bought it from drove it a few times, told me about the above issue, but I'm curious about what I should do since it sat so long. I found NOFX's Maintenance Thread so I have an idea I just have no real history of the car, so I guess what I'm wondering is what are the most important, most likely things?

Last edited:

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
brakes, wheel bearing, who knows. Post a vid of said sounds.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
could have a seized up caliper -shrug- id start there tho.

MichaelMcClernon

Yeah, it could be a plethora of things.

But i would definately check the brake pads and it probably just needs a good tune up.

Search civic tune up kit on ebay and its like $100 for a full tune up kit with everything you need to replace for a tune up.