Should I be concerned?

Twin Skunk

Hi all Im new hear and seeking some advice , I have a Ek2 with a b18cr swap and recently when I'm shift gear at high revs this cloud kinda comes out with each shift also someone told me its kinda smell like something burnt should I be concerned ? Also note car doesnt have any catalytic converter thanks in advance for the help
IMG_20150319_232405.JPG

Last edited:

MichaelMcClernon

piston rings.

Dont get me wrong. Doesnt mean the motor is bad. Just means its letting oil into the combustion chamber and its the burnt oil thats causing the smoke/smell.

I couldnt be wrong but i dont believe i am.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twin Skunk

But wouldn't be letting oil during normal driving? And would it do any damge? Was going to repair for now as its a bit costy

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If the cloud is blue, it's your rings/valve guides and seals but usually rings show up at higher rpm. If its just like a black gray cloud, its because you're not running a cat so all the HC, CO, and NOx just blows out the pipe.

Charlieee03

Is the car using oil? Keep a close eye on it. I would suggest valve stem seals, especially on deceleration as the oil pressure peaks? If not it may be overfueling, does it smell rich? Bad injectors, old spark plugs, wrong ECU..

Twin Skunk

changed plugs new set, tried a different ecu changed to a thicker oil 20-50 fully synthetic problem emits only during gear change at high rev, it puffs a cloud like tha. No smoke during low rev drive or idel idel hope its not rings :-( should i try a seal additive just incase?

Charlieee03

Is it a standard ECU though? As you lift off throttle the ignition map might not be sharp enough to cut the fuel in time, as at full throttle the injectors are wide open and running a lot of pressure, and they may not be closing quickly enough. If you go changing stem seals and rings etc. don't be tempted to do it all at once unless you have to, this way you'll be able to tell for certain what the problem was, as well as saving yourself some serious pennies.

Twin Skunk

Yes a stock p73 tried a p2t ecu (b16a2) tho, tho forgot to mention i swapped b16 pistons could it be beacuse of that to much compression and maybe not much good fuel?

Charlieee03

Haha. In that case your piston ring clearance might be a bit big. I wouldn't be too worried then, just keep an eye on your oil consumption while it all beds in properly. If it gets worse you'll have to get bigger rings

Twin Skunk

So not doing anyharm like i can drive than just swap some bigger rings later on ill keep an eye on oil for sure. Thanks for help charlie removed some of.my headache thanks again.

Twin Skunk

well around 600km i think tho im monitoring oil from last 250kms didn't notice any power Loss i think, the thing is car broke head ( retainer snapoed) so i changed a new head new seals and gasket and i had a b16 pistons of my old engine so i swapped them in while i was at it. but i used rings of the b18cr they looked good so cant see why smoking but as u said space clearance didnt think of that. Or mayabe vavle guides or i just should let evrything settle down just cost me to much to re do it agian for rings :

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Never use old rings from one engine to another.

You shouldve de-glazed the walls and seat new rings.

The pic looks black which indicates a rich issue. If it were blueish, then you should start worrying.

GSXR

did you hone out the cylinder walls, it could also be leaking oil into the chambers as the car sits ( valve guides) and burns it off on start up