Motor Swap Log

itzrivera

3/18 Edit
I'll be using this as my log for my first self done motor swap on my EK Hatch. I'll post pics and progress soon. Questions, advice, and comments for a first timer are appreciated!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys, I will be doing a b-series swap into my EK hatch. The car is currently automatic with the Y7 d series.

I'm confused as to what mounts I'll need since I'm doing both a swap to b series and from auto to manual. I already bought the rear T bracket from a 2000 civic SI. I believe I'll also need the front torque mount from a manual civic. Will I need any other mount?
I know the manual d series only requires those two mounts for a B-series swap, but since I'm automatic right now I would appreciate some further clarification on the exact mounts I'll require. Thank in advance.

PS
I'll be pulling the D series and autotragic tranny this week. I'll keep you guys updated.

Last edited:

itzrivera

bump, anybody? The motor is coming out today. Just need the axles pulled and the mounts undone.

btw this the first motor swap I'm doing, so any tips/advice to make the task easier would be appreciated!

itzrivera

Alright guys, motor is out. First time I pulled a motor all by myself. Well, my brother did help me remove the intake mani so I could get the fvkn wire harness out.

It also looks like 80% of my mounts are shot, so I'll have to look into some new ones. I'll start throwing pictures in here and just repurpose this as my swap log. Questions, comments, advice are all appreciated.

itzrivera

Ok, so quick update: I bought the car with what was supposed to be a leaking head on the D16y7 or whatever tf the motor code is. The previous owners tried driving the car like this, so they made it rain oil inside the bay.

Since it was nice out yesterday, I took some purple power and a brush to the engine bay. I tried to clean that out as much as possible. I'll have pics up soon.

And it turns out the leaking head was actually a hole the size of a h**krs butthole on the bottom end. Oil leaked everywhere when I pulled that s**t out. Smh.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Ouch. A whole in the bottom end is no good. Whatever, it's out now anyways.

You're correct in your mounts, shouldn't need anything else. If they're all shot, you can use 3M window weld and fill them in. But at this point I'd recommend getting new mounts since they're out of the car.

In for pics! PS you're nearly following the same route I did -- you'll love the auto to manual.

itzrivera

Whats up bro. Pics this week I promise haha

I might do the window weld, cause I expected to find a hydro trans for under $300 but so far everything I've found is north of $600. I bought the hydro on my teg for $225 so I know there are deals out there, I just need some patience. And yeah, I don't ever want to go auto again. My old teg, my brother and friend swapped to manual. Such a difference.

btw I saw your RSX thread bro, I have one too lol I have a MM 05 type S.

update: I took the manual pedals out of my old integra (1997 GS) and swapped them into the Civic. If you want to use these pedals, then you will need to swap the brake pedal sensors, as the plugs for the sensors are totally different. Also, it looks like The throttle cable will need to be used from the integra as the arm that holds the cable is different as well. Just an FYI for anyone looking to use DC4 pedal in a 98 Civic hatch.

itzrivera

I never thought I would buy a civic...
Untitled by hxcpancakes, on Flickr

...and I definitely never thought I would be excited about it.

When I picked it up. You can see oil all over.

A little bit of progress

And she's out!

The corny autotragic shifter

Shifter coming out

Looks like I'm committed now

New plans for the swap! I'll keep my ls on the side, just in case

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks like its coming along nicely :thumbs up

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I thought I was going to see an EK hatch.. NOPE, just another EJ6

Why is it the 1st thing a noob learns is the incorrect terminology for their chassis?

itzrivera

Looks like its coming along nicely :thumbs up
Thanks man

Nice. Any tips or tricks please post. ill be doing my first swap soon here.
What are you swapping? B series or D series, is it auto or manual?

If you're going auto to manual you'll need the manual trans bracket from the passenger side. Not the mount itself, but the bracket. That's something new I learned with this swap. If you're going B series as well, you'll also need the driver side Post from a 1999-2000 civic SI and the rear T-bracket from an SI as well.

Update: When I find the old flywheel that was on the motor, I'm gonna throw it on so I can lock the motor up from moving 'cause I need to break loose the crank pulley. My friends and bro recommended I do the water pump before I drop the motor, so that's next on my to-do.

Nate Razz

Is it that much more bullshit to go threw to switch from auto to manual? i found a guy with a clean crx body for 500 obo noooo rust dont run but its auto. would you pick it up and do a b series swap ? or should i just try to find a manual right off the bat

itzrivera

I prob would buy it if I had more disposable income lol There's a pretty tight knit group of honda guys that have driven up the value of the Crx/ef. Plus they're light and will move with a B swap, at least from what I've seen on youtube.

If you're going b series then it def wont be a lot more bullshit 'cause you're already pulling the motor. A manual swap will cost you more, 'cause you'll need a few mounts as well as the shift linkage, pedals, CMC and slave cylinder. A few other things here and there. You'll also need some more labor time into it, but you learn a lot about your car and you know you did everything the way you wanted it.

If you find a really good deal and if you can put down more cash for parts and some elbow grease, I would swap auto to manual.

Edit: speaking from experience swapping an Integra and now a Civic from auto to manual

itzrivera

Update:

I got the water pump and timing belt done last night. My friend helped me figure how to set the timing when putting the belt on, so I learned something there. While I had the lower belt cover off I was also able to take out the GSR post mount off the motor and swap in the Civic SI post mount that's necessary for a B swap. I'm just waiting on the flywheel to get here so I can mate the motor and trans and drop em in. I'm excited for it haha Pics will be up soon for ref.

itzrivera

Ok, if any one could throw ideas out on this issue I would appreciate it.

We went to mount the motor yesterday and we found that the trans touches the subframe when all the mounts are hooked up.

I'm currently using the 99-00 SI driver side post thats connected to the D series bracket. On the passenger side I have the automatic mount on the frame with the 96-00 civic bracket that has the 3 holes to connect the B series trans. In the back I have the 99-00 SI T-Bracket and on the subframe is a mount that may be out of a auto or manual, I'm not sure which and if there is really any difference between those.

I thought I had all the mounts for this swap, but these don't seem to sit the motor correctly. I've read online and all I see is people saying to use the driver post mount and T-bracket from the SI for a b swap, and I have that. For manual swaps I've read that you need the passenger trans bracket (cause auto only has 3 bolts). I have not seen mention of any other mounts, so I'm puzzled?

itzrivera

Update: my last post I was asking for opinions on the mounts, cause my motor wasn't sitting right (the trans was touching the sub-frame). I found out that the "SI" post mount that my friend bought from some kid, wasn't actually the SI post mount. The one he gave me sat too high. Yesterday I got the SI mount in the mail, swapped it out with the unknown mounts, and voila, my motor sits correctly now. I'll post pics later showing the difference between the supposed SI mount and the real SI mount. This way, if anyone buys one in the private market, they'll know whether they really are buying the SI post Mount.

On a brighter note, I've wired in the vtec solenoid and oil sensor into the ECU. I also wired in the Knock sensor, although I've read that OBD1 ecus don't look for a knock sensor. I have my shifter and linkage in. I just need to cut out the sheet metal to cover the big hole.

I really only need the a couple hoses, coolant, and trans fluid to start this thing up. Hopefully within a couple weeks I can.

Quick question, when setting the tension on the timing belt I know the belt is supposed to be fairly tight. I was told that the exhaust manifold side is supposed to be tighter than the intake manifold side of the belt. Is this accurate? Right now, my belt sits tight BUT the side closer to the intake manifold is a bit tighter. Will this be an issue? I can get pics/vid later if you guys want to see what I'm talking about.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
btw I saw your RSX thread bro, I have one too lol I have a MM 05 type S.
Nice man! It's definitely a solid car.

As for your question, though, honestly I am not sure. Either way it's looking good! And makes me miss my Civic haha

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I thought I was going to see an EK hatch.. NOPE, just another EJ6

Why is it the 1st thing a noob learns is the incorrect terminology for their chassis?
Why do you care? I'd take new members swapping motors and asking questions over "should I buy a short ram or cold air intake for my EJ6?"

Good luck with the swap OP!

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Why do you care? I'd take new members swapping motors and asking questions over "should I buy a short ram or cold air intake for my EJ6?"

Good luck with the swap OP!
Also to mention, the reason people do this is because of the whole old JDM fad. Basically it's used to describe a whole generation regardless of where it's from.... EK = 6th gen, EG = 5th gen.

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Also to mention, the reason people do this is because of the whole old JDM fad. Basically it's used to describe a whole generation regardless of where it's from.... EK = 6th gen, EG = 5th gen.
Right, seemed a bit corny even back in the day to say "No you drive an EH2 not an EG." Leave all of that nonsense for honda-tech or the like.