Huge drop in Gas Mileage. New rims the cause?

steven.r

I recently decided to get a wheel tire package for my 2012 civic instead of spending almost as much on just tires. Well i went up to a 17x9 from the 17s that were on the car. I used to average about 38mpg sometimes 40. I used to be able to drive pretty far on $20. Now it takes about that much to drive 70 miles. I am seriously getting about 25mpg or so. Might as well drive a damn V8. Can wheels make that huge of a drop in gas mileage?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Shouldnt make it drop that much. You have real time mpg instead of a computer generated mpg reading correct?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
17 to 17? No.

CRX_dude

copyright 2006 omgwtflol
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
any changes in driving habits? or changes on what fuel you use?

steven.r

Usually i went by the range number but know it's not fully accurate. Haven't tried the reset trip fill up then calculate the miles to tank yet. Today i watched it go from 100 miles left to 60 in 2 min. Then back to 70 then after i got home 40 miles from when i started it is now at 23 with gas light on.

No change in driving habit still maintain around 70 cruising to work and back. Although i did notice the car easily gets to 78 without me even noticing i am going that fast. I pulled up the Android Speedo app and with GPS it says i am going 71 but my speedo reads 75. App isn't 100% but other cars i am in it reads pretty close, off by 1mph usually. As for Fuel same as always Shell or Chevron.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wheels will dramatically change the mileage depending on the size but you saying you went from 17 to 17x9 isn't going to change anything.

The mileage calculation gauge is a best guess and is NOT the real way or an accurate way to calculate mileage. What it says on there is NEVER what your actual mileage is.

When I went from the stock 14 inch wheels to 17 inch wheels my mileage went from 35 down to about 23. When I sold those heavy gas robbing wheels and went to 15 inch wheels my mileage went to just above 30. All city driving.

If the car came stock with 17 inch wheels and you stay with the total rolling diameter of the wheel and tire, your speedometer will stay the same. You deviate from that sizing and the gauge will drop or increase depending on which way you went.

steven.r

Ya i don't use the gauge as an accurate measurement but as a best guess. When it read 200 miles i would know i could go 160 miles no problem. Now 200 miles gets me about 100 or so. I would think the new wheels would maintain the same level of gas mileage or drop maybe 2mpg since they are about 20lbs lighter than stock. Guess what i can do is fill up do the calculations and change air filter and spark plugs and hope that helps. Car looks great with new rims but damn not sure it's worth the gas bill as i drive 110 miles round trip daily. Maybe lowering the car might do something?

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Just calculate your MPG before you spend money needlessly, unless you just haven't done any maintenance recently.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lowering the car wont do anything for your gas mileage. Think about it for a second. Only chance would be if you saved a ton of weight by switching to aftermarket parts but that isnt likely.

You need to get a true calculation. So far all you have is guessing and trusting an inconsistent guage. You dont even know for sure that the car is getting worse mileage. Nothing you have provided so far has proven that.

Last edited:

steven.r

Tire pressure is good. Maintenance isn't due just yet. Was recently done. But will change filter and plugs myself. I don't need to perform a mpg test to know i am losing mileage. I would think it made itself pretty clear when i have to put in $25 for a trip that prior to wheels cost me $14. And it is very noticeable when for 8 months i would only put $50 to drive 5x to work which is 100 miles round trip. Now it's $85 a week. Not sure if low profile tires cause gas mileage to drop but the car has very small sidewall has me sliding around uneven roads. Just filled up and reset my trip. Gonna have calculation in a few days. Figured it may have happened to someone on here. Never had to worry about MPG before since i was driving a 5.0 and mileage was crap to begin with.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Tire pressure is good. Maintenance isn't due just yet. Was recently done. But will change filter and plugs myself. I don't need to perform a mpg test to know i am losing mileage. I would think it made itself pretty clear when i have to put in $25 for a trip that prior to wheels cost me $14. And it is very noticeable when for 8 months i would only put $50 to drive 5x to work which is 100 miles round trip. Now it's $85 a week. Not sure if low profile tires cause gas mileage to drop but the car has very small sidewall has me sliding around uneven roads. Just filled up and reset my trip. Gonna have calculation in a few days. Figured it may have happened to someone on here. Never had to worry about MPG before since i was driving a 5.0 and mileage was crap to begin with.
Yeah you do, because if it ends up being a 2-3mpg difference then there are so many factors that it could end of being. The place you get gas could of swapped to a s***ty supplier, driving habits or traffic differences, change from summer to winter blend, maybe you gained weight, no way to really tell.

my93civic

Reinstall your stock wheels and see if that makes a difference. I'm surprised you haven't done this yet

steven.r

I don't think i would notice a 2mpg drop or care. This is pretty bad like everyone is noticing that rides with me. I have thought of reinstalling my old wheels can't just yet though as 2 rims have pretty bad tread and messed up tires. Gonna go get some used ones for $20 this weekend and reinstall the old wheels. Maybe the old wheels and tires were made for the Eco mode crap on the car as i heard many hybrid car manufacturers suggest you don't change the ugly rims they come with as they are made for mpg.

From5thTO9th

The problem is that it is not 17 to 17 = nothing like some are suggesting. The problem is which 17's. There are boat anchors out there that are meant to be pretty to look and nothing more and then there are the really light wheels that don't look so hot but are meant for driving. I am not as current as I would like to be in this since I haven't bought wheels etc since the 5th gen so I can't really give you models right now but I would suggest that you strip the rubber off one and take one of your old ones and weigh them; I would be very surprised if your new wheels aren't significantly heavier. Given that, my rule of thumb has been ~$300 per wheel or more to get lighter than factory as cheaper ones tend to be more or less the same weight as factory accessory wheels.

In reference to the ECO mode and the wheels, I would consider that they sell and test the factory boat anchors (although they have gotten lighter than they used to be) and the milage drop isn't enough for EX and EX-L people to complain but notice that the hybrid and the HX have different factory rims and wheel covers which suggests that under those circumstances -i.e. fuel economy being of primordial importance and owners who will complain if milage drops by 1mpg- they do not sell the factory boat anchors for these models and I wonder if they would be willing to install them without some sort of paper that says "we told you so". Based on the difference in MPG between EX and LX, I would say that there is a 4-6 mpg difference between factory rims with wheel covers and factory boat anchors.

One last point: some aftermarket rims that look great (some might even be light as well for all I know) are aerodynamic disasters. That is to say that at 25-35 mph they are fine but at 80 mph they are like wearing a parachute.