car wont rev past 6500 RPMS

ferruccimike

i have a 1999 honda civic si. mods are hks exhaust. custom headers (4-1) which are dented. also have spectre intake (i know its not the best). and skunk 2 coilovers. no power steering and no AC. my problem is throught all gears i can only rev up to 6500 rpms. vtec still kicks in a 5500 rpms. trying to figure out why i cant rev to 8k. when i first got it i could rev to 8k. ive owned it for about 8 months now. just found out that my o2 sensor is lose before the cat. could it be the sensor? thanks! also my piston rings are worn. stock b16a2. stock ecu. i actually reved to 8k last week. like sometimes i can and sometimes i cant. most times i cant tho. also saw that one of the three wires are not connected to the o2 sensor. thinking its a ground wire. its the sensor after the cat.

Last edited:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:

You've pretty much answered your own question. Get new rings and fix your o2 sensors.

ferruccimike

yea but the rings have been bad since the day i got it and it just started doing it like a month ago.. both the o2 sensor and rings..

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
They probably got worse from not being repaired right away. It's like a crack in a windshield -- if you don't fix it, overtime that crack is going to get worse.

You know there's a problem with the rings and o2 sensors, and you'll need to fix them anyways, so why not start there and fix those?

ferruccimike

true.. i mean i plan on fixing them when i have time. already have the parts to fix my rings. but i have to order my o2 sensor. what do you recommend for the o2 sensor?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you have a stock ecu, vtec does not engage at 5500 rpm in a 1999 si. Worn piston rings won't stop it from revving, the car will gladly let you destroy it. What is happening at 6500rpm? Bogging, feel like a fuel cut? Loss of power?

ferruccimike

no.. its like its hitting its rev limiter. i mean i guess i have no idea if i have a stock ecu then. i thought vtec engadges at 5500 rpms????

Marco Alfaro

I'm having the same problem with my 97 civic ej6 with an F20b swap, short ram intake, speed daddy exhaust, S300, and I'm not sure what brand coilovers. I don't have a hard time starting it up but I can't get over 4,000 RPMs in park, neutral, or in drive, haven't tried reverse but don't need to, I haven't done anything to try to fix it because I don't know where to start. So far this info is the first Iv heard on it so thanks, I'll try those things and see what I get!