b16 and d16 compatibility??

Matthew Terry

So my buddy and I were bullshittin the other night and he said that a b16 and a d16 are virtually the same motor with a different head and internals. And most of the parts are compatible between the two. Not sure if he is just talking out his ass or not but I figured one of you guys could shed some light on this. I've done research on google and also browsed through the forums on here and couldn't really find much on this specific topic. Thanks in advance.

Harv_D_Johnson

Last i knew b series and d series werent compatible. Did i miss something????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matthew Terry

I'm not sure this is the first I'm hearing of it too but it kinda makes sense cause there both 1.6L... But I also could be completely wrong.. Lmao I'm sure someone will know for sure

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your buddy is talking out of his ass. Harv is correct.

There is a 6mm difference in piston size between the d16 and the b16 from what I can find. The stroke is also way different as is the bore. Just because the 2 are both 1.6 liters doesn't make them the same block. Think of one them like 2 drink glasses of different shape that still hold the same amount of volume, just because they hold the same amount of liquid doesn't make them the same "size" overall.

d16 is 1590cc
b16 is 1595cc

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would be curious to see his justification for this and where he was given this false information. Trust me, from a parts counter standpoint it would great if things like this were true and parts could be interchanged, unfortunately that is not normally the case and even minor variations between two engines is enough to throw things off.

You wouldn't believe how much hell parts guys have to go through dealing with customers at the counter that "read something" on a forum that isn't true. I get it all the time from older Porsche owners that think they can update their car by putting parts off the newer ones. Rule of thumb that I tell them is to really research it before coming in. If it is talked about a bunch and is actually proven, then it is true...but if it is mentioned on one forum in one thread, it is more than likely false unless the poster has visual proof to show that it can be done. Forums can be bad in the fact that people believe EVERYTHING they read and then pass the information on to the next person. It gets out of hand sometimes.

Matthew Terry

Hell yea. I talked to him tonight and showed him your post and he said he heard it from a guy that used to work on Hondas.. I sure hope I don't take my car to this guy lmao!!!! And yea that's why I do some research before I go to the parts store, to know the part I'm looking for. And I feel like Porsche owners are kinda motor illiterate there a bunch of rich f**ks. Yea I figured they were completly different motors but he was ansisstent that it was the same block thanks again man

Harv_D_Johnson

With honda engines are compatible with others of the same letter series. Example d with d. B with b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hell yea. I talked to him tonight and showed him your post and he said he heard it from a guy that used to work on Hondas.. I sure hope I don't take my car to this guy lmao!!!! And yea that's why I do some research before I go to the parts store, to know the part I'm looking for. And I feel like Porsche owners are kinda motor illiterate there a bunch of rich f**ks. Yea I figured they were completly different motors but he was ansisstent that it was the same block thanks again man

No problem.

You would think that with Porsche owners, but it can actually be the total opposite with the ones that own the newer models. Especially the 911 and new boxster/cayman guys. I think it comes with the amount of money and the enthusiasm that they bring to the ownership. Don't get me wrong, there is the ones that just drop money without thinking, but I get a TON of enthusiasts that want the best upgrades and the most out of everything. Puts most of our salesmen to shame when the customers know more about our cars then they do.

Its the guys that get the older junk ones for cheap that cause the most trouble. Those are the guys that think the parts and labor prices should reflect that $1500 piece of s**t boxster or 944 they picked up at a junk yard or auction. They don't understand that a key for that boxster is still going to cost $600 no matter how cheap they got the car.

We had a 911 towed in that had a blown motor. The guy bought it online for a steal and figured it was going to be something simple or worst case being a couple thousand for a new engine. What he didn't realize that to get that engine replaced it was going to be over $30k. He about fainted when my service manager called him back after the inspection and the estimate for parts.