B18b1 head tick!

Im_Expired

I know, this gets asked a lot. Here is my situation:
I got a b18b1 out of a 95 teggy LS, rebuilt the motor , dropped it in. Everything was torqued to spec. Spun a bearing one day and tore her down again and rebuilt. I set my timing and everything accordingly. Cranked her up and gained ever sense that day of first crank up, I have an annoyingly loud ticking coming from the head. I have also done a valve adjustment after car has been sitting all night, and all day.

for some reason I am beginning to think a slightly bent valve is tapping on my pistons.( forged pistons and rods of OEM compression ratio ) ... I have a SLIGHT sputter on idle... the ticking carries through all rpm ranges and does not go away after warming up. ( even drove for 3 hours straight one day)

Any ideas ?

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did you have the head checked when you rebuilt it?

Sounds like a bent valve to me.

Im_Expired

The head went from the shop to bring mated to my block. I have come to the same conclusion also. I have new valves ready to out in, however I don't have time. I'm getting my prelude fixed then the sol will be going under the knife.

Thank you for reply.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
But how did it bend a valve in the 1st place is what i would be asking.. the P75 has pretty deep combustion chambers and cam lobes arent that big..

Skipped a tooth sometime in the past maybe?

Im_Expired

I actually had to go back the other week and adjust timing on intake side. It was off by 1 tooth on ex and 2 on intake... so I do believe timing was an issue. ( I rushed it, now I'm kicking myself in the arse )

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You know theres holes in the cams to put a small rod or screwdriver to lock the cams to TDC.. So you dont miss a tooth or 2

Im_Expired

Yes,I am aware of this. Using the cam holders was done when I put it in time. When I had gone through and adjusted timing a few weeks ago, I noticed my tension pully was not tight like it should have been. Again, rushing is not good.lol.