Help please!

ActualCro

I have a 00 Ex Coupe. When I'm in idle there is a little random noise coming from my car. Sometimes while in 3rd. Also a burnt type of smell. I just did a oil change. I was thinking it could be the timing belt? I can post pictures of my bay if needed.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your explanation is far too vague. Describe the noise and potential origin area; engine bay, rear, undercarriage, left, right???. Is it a burnt oil smell? Have you bothered to check if perhaps that smell is just spilled oil onto the exhaust from the oil change? Have you inspected the engine bay for any type of leaks? What compels you to believe you have a timing belt issue since you mention nothing related to it? Details, man. This isnt the Psychic Automotive Friends Network.

Last edited:

ActualCro

Your explanation is far too vague. Describe the noise and potential origin area; engine bay, rear, undercarriage, left, right???. Is it a burnt oil smell? Have you bothered to check if perhaps that smell is just spilled oil onto the exhaust from the oil change? Have you inspected the engine bay for any type of leaks? What compels you to believe you have a timing belt issue since you mention nothing related to it? Details, man. This isnt the Psychic Automotive Friends Network.
Haha sorry. Well the person I bought the car from said it might be going out (timing belt). The smell is certainty a burnt type of smell. Like something is overheating. It's more to the left of the bay. I don't think it's spilt oil, this is the second time its had that smell. I got the oil change about 2 1/2 weeks ago. As far as the noise, it's like something is hitting against something. I know its not a great description but I can't put my finger on something that sounds like it. Hopefully that information helps a little. I just got into the car thing pretty recently.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wear on a timing belt can be observed by any visible cracking or it feeling stiffer than it should. Secondly, it doesnt seem like you know very little about cars based on your very vague descriptions. It doesnt sound like you really tried to inspect the engine at least visually for leaks or to get a rough estimate location of your noise. Your safest bet will be to find a trustworthy mechanic and ask him to show and explain the issues so you can begin to develop some automotive knowledge. Otherwise, vague guesswork could lead to more problems than solutions.

ActualCro

Wear on a timing belt can be observed by any visible cracking or it feeling stiffer than it should. Secondly, it doesnt seem like you know very little about cars based on your very vague descriptions. It doesnt sound like you really tried to inspect the engine at least visually for leaks or to get a rough estimate location of your noise. Your safest bet will be to find a trustworthy mechanic and ask him to show and explain the issues so you can begin to develop some automotive knowledge. Otherwise, vague guesswork could lead to more problems than solutions.
I shall do so! Thanks for the help!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Youre welcome. Let us know what they tell you.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That sounds like you went to a crackpot mechanic. Find a real mechanic and get a real opinion. Where in Indiana do you live that vagueness seems to be the way of life?

ActualCro

That sounds like you went to a crackpot mechanic. Find a real mechanic and get a real opinion. Where in Indiana do you live that vagueness seems to be the way of life?
Well I'm going back Thursday. I live in Marion County. Decatur Township. He said that he'll take a look at it when I go back Thursday. He said that it cost $45 for a half an hour. Is that a rook? I mean there are a couple of Big O tires around me.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Big O' Tires will charge you more than a mechanic because thats not what they prefer to do. Find a mechanic shop and get a real estimate. No real shop will charge you for 30 minutes to give you a reasonable idea as to what your issues are, especially for a Civic thats usually simple to figure out. Google mechanics in your zip code.

ActualCro

Big O' Tires will charge you more than a mechanic because thats not what they prefer to do. Find a mechanic shop and get a real estimate. No real shop will charge you for 30 minutes to give you a reasonable idea as to what your issues are, especially for a Civic thats usually simple to figure out. Google mechanics in your zip code.
Yeah I figured about the Big O thing. As for the guy I saw today he seemed a little sketchy. I can go back to the guy that did my clutch replacement. He's a local guy who's been around here for a while. He did good work. I'm not from Indiana so I'm still getting used to everything. But I'll have him look at it and let know you what he says, if you want.