endo617's 98 Civic LX Project: Balance

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ugh. Broken bolts are a pain in the rear. I was going to replace the sway bushings on my wife's CR-V, and right off I broke 2 of the 4 D bracket bolt heads clean off. Drilled out one bolt, inserted the extractor, and SNAP! Extractor broke off in the hole.

endo617

Respected
Registered VIP
ugh. Broken bolts are a pain in the rear. I was going to replace the sway bushings on my wife's CR-V, and right off I broke 2 of the 4 D bracket bolt heads clean off. Drilled out one bolt, inserted the extractor, and SNAP! Extractor broke off in the hole.
I hear yeah that's exactly what happened to me.

I got lucky at the junkyard this morning, found all 4 mud guards. Also after doing lots of research I found out that the EM1 proportion valve Part # is the same on all 96+ Civic Hatchbacks and the HX too. Found all the clips I needed too, pretty good day.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
good score on those mudguards! I've only been able to locate the rears (mine's a 99). I know the fronts are all the same for 96-00, but haven't located ANY cars in my local yards with the front guards.

endo617

Respected
Registered VIP
good score on those mudguards! I've only been able to locate the rears (mine's a 99). I know the fronts are all the same for 96-00, but haven't located ANY cars in my local yards with the front guards.
Funny thing was one was missing but I was going to get them anyway. Something told me to check the trunk, and there is was under some stuff.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mud guards are still available new from Honda. I've got the part numbers posted somewhere in my build thread. I just haven't installed mine yet.

Integra proportioning valve is also the same as Civics.

endo617

Respected
Registered VIP
Mud guards are still available new from Honda. I've got the part numbers posted somewhere in my build thread. I just haven't installed mine yet.

Integra proportioning valve is also the same as Civics.
The mud guards were pretty much free, they were between some door panels and guy never noticed. I'm thinking maybe just getting a 98+ RS Integra s04-952one so I do it right the first time because the data is little sketchy saying all hatchbacks, HX and EM1 have the same pn s04-902.

Replaced my grounds with some OE pickup truck one, hopefully this helps with my fluctuating voltage. Mishimoto hoses came in too.

endo617

Respected
Registered VIP
Test fitting the pillow mounts, they fit perfectly.

3 Row radiator came in, looks good enough. Better than the SOHC one I have right now.

Lastly, took the head of the GSR block finally. Need to unbolt a few more things and drain the oil out, then shes off to get rebuilt.

endo617

Respected
Registered VIP
Almost ready to do over the suspension completely. Just need a few more things and get myself a hydraulic shop press.

endo617

Respected
Registered VIP
Street Pro by Cometic bottom end gasket kit came in along with my caliper and new GSR dowel pins.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Almost ready to do over the suspension completely. Just need a few more things and get myself a hydraulic shop press.
Unless you just want a press, I'd find one you can use or pay a small fee for someone to press stuff for you. I work on cars all day long, and only use a press a few times a week at the most... it's otherwise a useless tool sitting in the corner. I've only ever used it for my own projects twice in 10 years.

endo617

Respected
Registered VIP
Unless you just want a press, I'd find one you can use or pay a small fee for someone to press stuff for you. I work on cars all day long, and only use a press a few times a week at the most... it's otherwise a useless tool sitting in the corner. I've only ever used it for my own projects twice in 10 years.
I can see myself doing some side jobs pressing bushing and bearings. Plus I'm getting more into motorsports so I see parts getting replaced a lot sooner.

endo617

Respected
Registered VIP
ARP head studs came, started to organize my storage. I found my SI. Started making the short list to finish it.

endo617

Respected
Registered VIP
Looking good
Thanks man.

Did some work today. completely finish the rear of the car. New Honda Rear Trail Arm Bushings, Hard Race Toe Adjusters, BWR LCA Bushings, JDM 23mm ITR Swar, and Pillow Ball Mounts on my Buddy Club N+ Coilovers.

I_GOT_BOOST

since 06
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn you got a lot of suspension work done. How much adjustable ride height do you have on those coil overs? My ek has godspeed coil overs and they are all the way up n the car is still pretty low

endo617

Respected
Registered VIP
Damn you got a lot of suspension work done. How much adjustable ride height do you have on those coil overs? My ek has godspeed coil overs and they are all the way up n the car is still pretty low
I honestly don't know how much, but I have a lot more I can lift so it's not bad.

Loving my wheels

Did my alignment today, Tech loved my Toe Adjusters. I still need to install my front camber kit, -4 is a lot and the caster is slightly off.

endo617

Respected
Registered VIP
I had an accident with one of my rear Buddy Club coilovers that cost $251. I snapped the head off the piston rod trying to figure out a stupid clunking noise. Any ways new cartridge is coming Monday. After the coilovers go in I'll install my SPC front camber kit and do the final alignment.

Here's some little nick knacks I picked up. Radiator safety cap, Sway bar billet inserts that replace the rubber bushings on my JDM 23mm, and some Weathertech rain guards.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
damn. sorry to hear about that piston. But, did you ever figure out what that clunk was? And was it from the passenger rear of the car?

endo617

Respected
Registered VIP
damn. sorry to hear about that piston. But, did you ever figure out what that clunk was? And was it from the passenger rear of the car?
Yeah I figured it out, spherical part of the pillow mount was loose. I ordered a pin spanner tighten all of them just in case. Hope no more mistake happen, I should have been more careful.

endo617

Respected
Registered VIP
Hasting Rings came in, head gasket in the mail, hopefully everything is done in the next 2 weeks.

Just waiting to pick up my new cartridge for the one I broke. I tightened the all the lock rings that hold the spherical bushings and center punched the threads. Don't have to worry about that anymore.