I have a question regarding the interior of a civic ek.

mangion13

If I install bucket seats (recaros) and a harness (takata) will I still be able to access and use the rear seats normally?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not if you install the harness correctly. It should be attached to a harness bar or a roll cage going across the back of the seats. How do you plan on installing the upper part of the harness?

mangion13

That's what I am not sure of yet since all the videos I've seen regarding the installation made it clear that the rear seats wouldn't be as accessible as before since there would be some sort of harness bar.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes, to do it right. Legally and safety wise, you need a harness bar or a roll cage with a section that goes right behind the seats.

mangion13

So I'm guessing that the answer to my original question regarding the accessibility of the rear seats is a negative one, right?

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ive seen a bar mounted between the upper mounting bolts for the original seat belts but idk how effective it is. im sure you could still get back there but it will be annoying as s**t

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
and if you use a harness bar, you better hope you dont get into any accident with people in the backseat.

Unless your tracking the car, use the OEM belt. If your tracking the car, then you need to decide if its a track car or a street car.

mangion13

It's a street car since in Malta all we have is a drag strip (no tracks). I'll probably won't install a harness or install it on the driver's side only. Thanks for the help guys.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you install any harness you need a mount even if you only have one harness. You don't see stock seat belts bolting to the floor behind you do you?

codesmith29

Respected
Lolllllllllll wow dude u know the racing seats kit is for racing purpose unless u doing it for show businesses justt use the seats and forget about the harness unless u modified them to fit someplace besides using the roll cage bar

Nwashburn79@yah

no access to the rear seats with properly installed takata's, technically you can ive seen it done, but who ever is sitting in the rear will have a strut bar in there face, and that could be dangerous if you wreck.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have my takata harness bolted to the chassis per the instructions when using the bolt eyelets instead of a harness bar. The rear seats have simply been placed over the top with the harness ran straight in between the lower seat cushion and the upper seat back. The center and passenger rear seat is still usable and accessible, with no bars to smash your face into.

A harness bar is an optional way of installing the harness, that's why Takata offers a long version and short versions (for the harness bar). Stock seatbelts don't bolt into the floor because they are inertia reel seatbelts with not only safety in mind but usable space. They still bolt into the chassis though.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Legally, harnesses are not legal for street driving.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Legally, harnesses are not legal for street driving.
yes they are....if not, that'd take a lot of high end exotics off the market. FIA approved harnesses are legal