Did Honda Dealer solder air filter cover screw, and glue plastic top down? You decide.

wyclef

5+ Year Member
Hey guys, went to change out my air filter this morning, something that I have done before... 5 maybe 6 minute job? 10 min if you count me having to put pants on in the morning to do this. Anyways, to my suprise this time I was having trouble removing the back left air filter cover screw, the one furthest from reach and sight only to find that it had been soldered to the washer with solder filling the philips screw head. Or some kind of metal... Not sure if it's solder. Anyhow, I managed to get that screwed removed only to find that the plastic lid doesnt want to come off no matter how hard I pull or pry. Without wanting to break it I am only left wondering if the dealer glued it down? I have replaced my air filter before and never had to exert any force or effort to remove the plastic lid and not long ago I had to go to the dealer for a computer update and they gave the car a run through. Thoughts? Ideas how to remove a glued on cover?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you were there for a computer update, why would they touch the air filter housing? Then proceed to screw you by "gluing" down the lid. This doesn't make sense. Even if one of the screws was broken or the threads were stripped, the others would hold the lid down just fine. No need for glue.

Go back to them and ask if you are certain. Nothing we can do here, to be honest.

If it is glued on, you are going to have to break it to get it off. No way around it. Only 2 ways to separate something with glue strong enough would either melt the plastic lid and housing, or destroy it because of the corrosive chemicals.

Personally, I think it is just stuck on. Rubber and plastic tend to fuse together under high heat and can be difficult to separate. Put some elbow grease into it. Worse case, you break it which is going to happen anyway if it is in fact "glued" on.

wyclef

5+ Year Member
That is what I thought, just thought it was strange that one of the screws had a neat dab of solder in the slots and then around the permiter fusing it to the washer. In any case, as far fetched as it sounds I wouldnt put it passed the dealer to do something like this. Regardless, wasn't really asking for help, just curious if anyone had ever heard about something like this before. Also, I was there for a computer update after denying $600 worth of service due to a simple fix found in a service bulletin that they were in denial about. Whatever dude.