Brake Light Receptacle Melted

BabyGrand57

I went to replace a brake light bulb (2003 Honda Civic EX) and discovered that half of the bulb receptacle had melted. It cracked off into two pieces and isn't going to hold much of anything anymore. I'd love to know if anyone has an opinion on what might have caused that problem. In the meantime, I was considering duct taping it into place. If I don't, I'm concerned that the bulb will move and my brake light won't show up correctly. Anybody? Thanks!

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds like someone might have put to high of wattage bulb in there or it was shorted out at some point. Hard to say without seeing it. If it was hot enough to melt it in the past, duct tape won't do much good. It will dry out and fall off in no time. Look online or get a new unit from the dealer instead of patching it.

supermonk

Happened to me too. I used duct tape andit melted quickly and made a mess. Just buy a replacement.

BabyGrand57

Happened to me too. I used duct tape andit melted quickly and made a mess. Just buy a replacement.
Thanks for the tip. I haven't gotten around to doing much about it yet. I'm putting a good bit into why it keeps overheating, though. Nobody can see a reason so far. :(

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah, this also happened to me. But I had cheap altezza tail lights (I was 16, shut up), and were poorly made. Bulbs fused to the inner housing, so the only way to remove them was to shatter the bulb. I damaged the tail lights during this process, but since they were being replaced I brought them straight to the dumpster.

OP, create a new thread in the correct section and describe your overheating problem as best you can. Maybe the Club can help you out. :cool:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah, this also happened to me. But I had cheap altezza tail lights (I was 16, shut up), and were poorly made. Bulbs fused to the inner housing, so the only way to remove them was to shatter the bulb. I damaged the tail lights during this process, but since they were being replaced I brought them straight to the dumpster.

OP, create a new thread in the correct section and describe your overheating problem as best you can. Maybe the Club can help you out. :cool:
I think he is talking about the tail light overheating not his engine. Could be wrong though as it wasn't completely clear.