Need some technical help guys.

Honda9206

Working on the 92 DX
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It has been quite awhile since I have been on. I got into the prelude world for a while. Well I just sold my 1992 Prelude SI 4WS for 3000 (paid 1800) and he also traded me his beater 1999 Honda Civic Ex with a D16Y7. So I made out good but would like to get the civic running smooth. It still drives and all electrical works but it is a true beater. Now here comes the issues.

It is throwing an electrical code for the IACV (not to worried about it at the moment) . But it is also throwing a code on both o2 sensors. Upon inspection the upper o2 isn't plugged into anything. The problem here I can't find the other end of the plug. Any idea where it could be? Next there are 2 empty plugs directly under the distributor one is a 2 wire plug and the other is a 1 wire that aren't connected to anything. Any ideas would be a help. I will upload pictures of the issues in a little bit.

Attachments

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OK posting a picture of the car when you describing Empty Plugs doesnt help us diagnose what these mystry plugs are..

One issue you have is the 99Civic EX comes with a Y8 engine which has VTEC. The Y7 does not have Vtec. This could be the answer to the plugs in question.

Looks like someone swapped in the less powerful engine and sold the car to someone who doesnt know about honda engines or what is supposed to be in the engine bay.

Chalk that up to inexperience. It happens.

Im not too familiar with D series IAVC differences between the Y7 & Y8 so maybe someone on here can clarify or maybe you can search for yourself.

Honda9206

Working on the 92 DX
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OK posting a picture of the car when you describing Empty Plugs doesnt help us diagnose what these mystry plugs are..

One issue you have is the 99Civic EX comes with a Y8 engine which has VTEC. The Y7 does not have Vtec. This could be the answer to the plugs in question.

Looks like someone swapped in the less powerful engine and sold the car to someone who doesnt know about honda engines or what is supposed to be in the engine bay.

Chalk that up to inexperience. It happens.

Im not too familiar with D series IAVC differences between the Y7 & Y8 so maybe someone on here can clarify or maybe you can search for yourself.
Thanks for your response but I am well aware that the y7 is not the motor for EX. This wasnt my first rodeo in the civic world. You are correct in that the 2 plugs were just not used on the y7. So there was no interference there. The IACV had a short in the plug which was throwing the code. Replaced the plug and IACV. Also the wires for the O2 Sensor were tucked up into the engine bay (well stuck in the engine bay due to a poor job of them swapping in the motor). Ended up selling it after the repairs. Thanks again