17 inch rims?

_Idrivethat_Ricer

Hey guys, new to this but I need some advice. My wheels on my car have been plasti dipped black for quite some time and I want new wheels. I have tires that are just over a year old, but I'm sick of the tiny 15 inch rims and the fender gap on my car. I found some Sparco Drift wheels on tire rack and I really like them, the tires I want to get are Kuhmo Ecastas and are 205's, but I don't know if I should go with 17 inch or 16 inch wheels. A good friend of mine who is a car genius says that I should go with 17's due to the high availability of tires for that rim size. I plan to lower my car about an inch to 1.5 in at the beginning of summer, but I've heard that lowering a civic with 17's is a bad idea... any suggestions?

Attachments

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Personally I would go with the 16s. Both would fit, but I stepped down from 17s to 16s and I like the look and fitment better. 17's can look bulky IMO.

You will have 0 issues finding tires for them, unless you are picky and looking for a specific brand/type.

_Idrivethat_Ricer

Ok, and what size? I want 205 width, but I have no clue what the other dimensions mean. Do I stay with 60-15 and just up the width?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
16" rims would be best for a nice fitment and least likely chances of any tire rubbing regardkess of the equipment used for the drop. 50-16 or 55-16 should do very well.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok, and what size? I want 205 width, but I have no clue what the other dimensions mean. Do I stay with 60-15 and just up the width?
The other dimensions are how tall the side wall is and the actual size of the wheel. So 205/40R16 would be 205 wide from outside to inside, 40 tall from wheel lip to top of tread, and 16 inch diameter wheel.

You don't just up the wheel size diameter. You need to keep the same rolling circumference of the original set up to keep the speedometer in check among other things. Google a tire fitment calculator or tire size calculator and punch in the original factory size and what you want to run. It will tell you how much they will be off and how much you need to adjust the size to keep the same or close to it.

Honda9206

Working on the 92 DX
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The 6th gen I picked up in trade has 17s and I am not upset about it like I thought I would have been.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm going to hop in and say that you should be careful with the advice you get from non-7th genners. 7th gens can fit much larger wheels without looking awkward than, say, 6th gens. While I would stick to 16s on a 6th gen, I've seen up to 19s work well on a kitted 7th with a nice drop. I would personally never go that large, but my point is that 17s will not look big on the 7th gen, and you will have plenty of wheel well clearance.

I have 16s on mine. They look good, but I would not have been upset if I chose 17s.

Tyler K

Ight so if it helps you out any I do have an 01' with 17"s I know their black on black but just go to "members rides" in the 7th gen and itll be near the top of recent posted. Have to agree with ^^^^ our wheel well is fairly large.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
For 5th and 6th gen, I say 16"

but everyone has their own preference.

I dont even look at 7th gens..

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have tires that are just over a year old, but I'm sick of the tiny 15 inch rims and the fender gap on my car.
Lower it and keep the 15's first maybe, see how it looks, if you don't like it, upgrade the wheels and tires later?

_Idrivethat_Ricer

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice, but I went with the 17s. I got goodyear eagle max performance all season tires 205/45/17. I plan to lower it soon (an inch to an inch 1/2) to get rid of some fender gap and also get a strut tower brace. Here's what the wheels look like 16864.jpeg

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Rule of thumb:

5th gen- 15"
6th gen- 16"
7th gen- 17"

I will always stand by that :thumbs up
Interesting way to look at it, and it makes sense!

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice, but I went with the 17s. I got goodyear eagle max performance all season tires 205/45/17. I plan to lower it soon (an inch to an inch 1/2) to get rid of some fender gap and also get a strut tower brace. Here's what the wheels look like View attachment 25309
Looks good! Will look better with that drop though!

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
IMO Black wheels are out of style.. Have been for a while now.

Remember back when eveyone thought clear tail lights were cool? As soon as they became OEM they lost the cool factor and even the ricers quit buying them.

Well, Black wheels are OEM now and thats a clue that its out of style. The years were 06 -11 depending on how current you town is with style.

I wouldve went with a 205/40 17 as the wheel is on the large side and now with the extra sidewall size of the 45 profile, makes the whole wheel look huge.

again, this is my opinion..

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Remember back when eveyone thought clear tail lights were cool? As soon as they became OEM they lost the cool factor and even the ricers quit buying them.
Nope, they must be back in style.
Have you seen how the demand for them again has driven prices through the roof lately?