AutoX wheels

flat 4 B

Club Civic,

So, I recently acquired my second baby, a 1993 Civic CX, with plans of autoXing it. It does have new Falken tires but the steelies it has are rusted around the lug nuts. I am worried that this will cause the wheels to break while racing inevitably damaging my car, knowing that force goes to the weakest part of objects. I am wanting to buy some used Honda steelies off of craigslist and just pay Discount Tire to swap tires for me. However, I have heard of steel wheels breaking at autoX events. So I began to look into alloy wheels such as 13 inch Audi "cookie cutters". The only issue with buying these it that they are 6.5 inched wide compared to the 4.5 inch width of my Honda steelies so I will need to buy new tires and run the risk of them potentially rubbing (I am on stock suspension). I would just buy the Audi wheels and tires but money is a bit tight. So, my questions, will a rust free set of 13 inch Honda steel wheels break undergoing force from cornering at an autoX event? Also, will the 6.5 inch wide Audi wheels rub?

Thanks,
Griffin

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Lol, it's only been just past 24 hours, and site activity has been slow lately. Sorry our free help does not meet your instant demands.

My buddy only uses steelies when he autocrosses.. I think you'd be fine. The car doesn't take THAT much abuse to the point where a wheel will break... at least not an OEM one.

If you want to improve your autox, I would recommend whatever wheels and focus on aftermarket suspension, something like Progress or Fortune Auto coilovers.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
personally, The more rubber hitting the ground, the better the handling,braking and traction..

I would look to some 15" Kosei's with 205/50's

the little extra unsprung weight wont make that much of a difference.

flat 4 B

Lol, it's only been just past 24 hours, and site activity has been slow lately. Sorry our free help does not meet your instant demands.

My buddy only uses steelies when he autocrosses.. I think you'd be fine. The car doesn't take THAT much abuse to the point where a wheel will break... at least not an OEM one.

If you want to improve your autox, I would recommend whatever wheels and focus on aftermarket suspension, something like Progress or Fortune Auto coilovers.
Something told me that all I needed to do to draw a comment was call out the Honda forums, please don't take it personally. I'm betting it's human nature to defend what you are/are a part of, interesting isn't it? I do appreciate the replays however. Glad I didn't just get a response arguing my previous comment. I would buy better, wider wheels but funds are spread thin between my two babies. I'll look into suspension but I'm assuming that is also not cheap.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So you want to go racing, but dont have the funds..

If your that thin in the wallet, you should wait to pursue your Mario Andretti dreams