How do you go about cleaning?

Im_Expired

Just wondering what you guys have done that works the best for overnight soaking when it comes to cleaning your block or cylinder head. What chemical(s) do you use? What size container do you use?

About to start cleaning more parts I have laying around and some include blocks and heads for not only hondas...but for boat motors and such.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If your going to be cleaning alot of parts on a regular basis then harbor freight has a parts washer on the cheap. Zep has solvent u can use that wont evaporate.

For my block i used brake clean and a wire brush. After getting it all clean, i did a final spray and wipe then painted it.

Last edited:

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well you can use thinner.. but disposing of it and also disposal of the Zep solvent is going to be your issue. Hence why i just used brake clean as it evaps.

So check around ither shops and see how much for disposal when your ready to change the solvent. Shops usually have some company to pick it up and recycle it. If you get on the same page with them, they might let you pay them for disposal.

Im_Expired

Thank you. I will look into this. I'm just starting off on my own with engine builds,cleaning parts, and doing small things for friends and family. Over time I find myself looking for a better way to go about doing things.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well you can use thinner.. but disposing of it and also disposal of the Zep solvent is going to be your issue. Hence why i just used brake clean as it evaps.

So check around ither shops and see how much for disposal when your ready to change the solvent. Shops usually have some company to pick it up and recycle it. If you get on the same page with them, they might let you pay them for disposal.
^^^ This.

I have a parts washer...well used to anyway. Gave it to my buddy that lives a few roads over from me when I started working at the place I am now. We have a huge hot tank at work so I don't need the washer anymore. If I need to at home, I can always run over to my buddies as I have the code to the shop.

The fluid in the parts washer is a solvent based fluid that comes in a big drum that the cleaning tank sits on.

It was always a problem to find out where to dispose of the old cleaner in the tank. My buddy and I finally got in good with a local shop owner here. Gave him some money for his time and dumped into his outside tank. He has a company come and dispose of the old oil, coolant, oil filters, and solvent tank gunk.

Im_Expired

I work at a salvage yard and my boss has a parts washer with the propper fluids to do the job. My best friend is the boss's son and we do a lot of work on cars. Bring that we have a company that picks up our old oil and other fluids from the cars/trucks I strip down... I will talk with my boss this week on if I can dispose of everything at work.

I never knew the issues of disposal. Thank you guys for input.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Advance Auto usually has a BOGOF every few weeks.

So buy a case and get a case free.