97 D16Y7 Head Gasket

Mitch Harrison

So I have a 97 D16Y7 that I just finished rebuilding. It has under 200 miles and the head gasket is leaking at all cylinders. Cranking compression check showed all 4 close to 200 psi but a blow check into each cylinder caused massive bubbling in the radiator. The head was decked and the block was confirmed flat. New head bolts were installed. Did not use OEM gasket or bolts. So what could it be? Should I have used OEM parts? What did I miss?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Most definitely use OEM parts in this aspect. A lot of people cheap out and it bites them in the ass. A google search will show all the questions asked just like this after not using OEM. Bolts can be substituted for something like ARP or a good aftermarket brand but they NEED to be torqued exactly to spec, but won't be able to do their job with an inferior gasket set.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^
and in the proper sequence.

Make sure you bleed the cooling system correctly.

Mitch Harrison

Thanks. In the morning I'm going to re-torque the bolts and re-run the leak-down check. Then I'll go to the dealership and buy the OEM gasket.

GSXR

Did you have the head milled, and if so did you get the correct thickness for the head gasket? also DO not put more than a LIGHT coat of oil on the head bolts! I did and after a few hundred miles the gasket leaked,. the reason for this is that the oil is compressible and the torque will be off as time goes by the bolts with loosen slightly. and as the others say, get factory bolts if you do in fact need new ones. And it is a pain in the ass to torgue the head down compared to other bigger engines but follow the 1/8 1/4 turn or whatever it is after the initial torque of the head.

good luck,

Speed =GSXR 750