Distributor issues

94b20 hatch

So I have a b20b in my hatch. My dizzy took a big drink of oil after the shaft seal took the day off I guess. Anyway the sensors inside are dead. My dizzy is dead. The only dizzys I can find that bolt up are obd2 and my car is wired for obd1. Does anyone know off the top of their head one that will be plug and play? I'm trying to avoid any re wiring, jumper kits, gutting a new dizzy to put the internals in my correct housing. I would like something plug and play if possible. No rigging, I also don't want an eBay one I will need to replace before I even bolt it on.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is an old prelude that came with a B20 stock, not sure if they are obd0 or obd1 though

94b20 hatch

I got it running. I bought a dizzy and just put the guts in my housing and she started up with a really high idle.

my car is idling around 3k. I have b20b in a eg hatch. I had a no start issue but she idled fine before I replaced my dizzy. I have adjusted my fitv, cleaned my tb, iac, and tried everything that has fixed my idle issues in other Hondas I've owned. I am at a loss. I have no vacuum leaks I can detect. I've been checking everything I can think of and don't know what else to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is my first b series motor. I've only dealt with h and k series before this.

I replaced my distributor today by gutting one for 94 hatch and using the internals in my housing. I don't know if that will cause a high idle. I also reset my ecu

Last edited by a moderator:

94b20 hatch

So my I think my timing is off. The teeth that fit into the cam on the back side of my dizzy broke off for some reason. I used the same pieces that were on the car before and were running fine.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did you force the dizzy into the hole? it can only go one way really but i have read its possible to get it in the other way and then it breaks.

94b20 hatch

No it went in easily, I don't honestly know what happened. Car was running fine, it shut off on me. I had it towed home, replaced all my dizzy internals and it started up but kind of sputtered then shot up to 4k rpms, I cleaned the inaccurate Fitv bled coolant and all the other things for a Honda idle issue we all know so well. Then it got to where it would struggle to start and when it did it would sputter for about 20 seconds until it hit 1k rpms then it would shoot up to 3k and sit steady

MyLittleTeg

Hook it up to a odb scanner. I did that with mine and it was idling high after I swapped a motor. Adjusted it to read 16 on the timing and now she screams

94b20 hatch

Well the plug for the scanner is not there. Just the wires dangling. I bought this car used and did not do my homework before jumping in