Learning about mods.

Brotherchard

Hi guys, I'm new to the board and just wanted to introduce myself. I recently purchased a 2015 si a week ago and am I loving it so far. I'm interested in doing a build in the future and I wanted to know if there was a place I could learn about mods and what each mod is for and does before I jump in and install a cold air intake because everyone else installs one. Thanks for any help you guys can offer. I'm in no rush, just want to research and learn as much as possible before making any moves.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just google what you are looking for. Or search on here. There are places and youtube type channels that actually walk you through "how (insert part/function here) works".

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Like Lethal6 said, do alot of research online. There are just so many possible mods, many variations of mods and so much info and misinformation every topic. My favorite tactic outside of consulting professionals is to google "benefits of..." and whatever topic you have in mind. Being that your Civic is so recent there will be limited specific info for your model, but you can at least get to know the general knowledge of each mod you decide to consider seriously.

Since you mentioned a cold-air intake, let me be the first to tell you that its useless unless you modify your internals to the point where they need more air induction. Therefore, CAIs should be done in the middle of an engine build and not starting it off. Think of a vacuum attachment. If the tip is way too open then you dont suck in any more air unless you get a stronger vac.

Brotherchard

This guy said that there in a certain order that mods should be done for a high end build:

1. Downpipe
2. Flashpro
3. Rbc intake manifold, intake, rdx injectors
4. Catback exhaust and tune.

How accurate is this?

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This guy said that there in a certain order that mods should be done for a high end build:

1. Downpipe
2. Flashpro

How accurate is this?
I've been on this forum for a few years now, plus in and out of my own local car scene, and I've never heard of any significance in the order of modifications. At least, not like that.

On a turbo build for example, you're obviously going to want to piece everything together before you just strap a turbo on and hope for the best..

It is wise to get the tune last though.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

1. Downpipe
2. Flashpro

How accurate is this?
If this guy told you this, then walk away. Theres car enthusiast, and people who want to be enthusiast.

Read this to give you some guidance:

Building your Dream Car 101

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hi guys, I'm new to the board and just wanted to introduce myself. I recently purchased a 2015 si a week ago and am I loving it so far. I'm interested in doing a build in the future and I wanted to know if there was a place I could learn about mods and what each mod is for and does before I jump in and install a cold air intake because everyone else installs one. Thanks for any help you guys can offer. I'm in no rush, just want to research and learn as much as possible before making any moves.
Congrats on the new Si and on one of the best intro/first posts I've seen in awhile.
Well thought out, clear to the point and doesn't give me a headache to try to read and decipher.

As for the build, two other things to consider as well are, goals and budget.
Do you have any idea on either, power goals and budget?

preston ilnicki

Respected
I resently just bought a 2015 si and you have to watch what mods you do to it, because most mods will void parts of the warrenty. If your not worried about it then do what you please. But if you don't want to void the warrenty I would call Honda and see what things you can and can't do.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Since you mentioned a cold-air intake, let me be the first to tell you that its useless unless you modify your internals to the point where they need more air induction. Therefore, CAIs should be done in the middle of an engine build and not starting it off. Think of a vacuum attachment. If the tip is way too open then you dont suck in any more air unless you get a stronger vac.
The engine in question is a 2015 K series engine...the stock air intake is not optimized for performance even on a completely stock engine. Without tuning, that engine will see gains throughout the entire powerband with a cold air intake and stock engine, and obviously more so with more complementing bolt ons. Your info has it's place with particular engines though.

1. Downpipe
2. Flashpro

How accurate is this?
This is just a list of average bolt on mods, not very high end in my opinion. This "order" isn't a strict course you should follow aside from the tune like mentioned above. That list is written out in more of a significance order when focused on performance. The downpipe on the new engines is the most restrictive area and will make the most noticeable difference right off the bat, then flashpro because you'll be able to take further advantage of the downpipe with the pre installed calibrations, and the same goes for the intake manifold, intake, injectors, and exhaust. So that's why it's written that way, but that doesn't mean you have to do it in that order.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The engine in question is a 2015 K series engine...the stock air intake is not optimized for performance even on a completely stock engine. Without tuning, that engine will see gains throughout the entire powerband with a cold air intake and stock engine, and obviously more so with more complementing bolt ons. Your info has it's place with particular engines though.
My mistake for over generalizing. Thanks for the correction.