Car won't start

matty21

Hi all, I seem to have a little problem with my civic, The car will turn over but will not fire up, upon turning the ignition on I can't hear the fuel pump kicking in and I only get oil, srs and handbrake lights come on the dash, no battery or immobiliser lights(green key) Everything was working and running fine until I got in and parked my car last night.
Any help is much appreciated
Cheers.

derekb

Sounds like your car isnt getting fuel! If the car is turning over means u got battery power! Id check your fuel pump first.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Have you checked fuses and relays? Have you done anything to the car lately?

How old is the battery

matty21

Thanks for the replys, I haven't done anything to the car other than use it as an everyday for work and back since I bought it, the battery is about 2-3 weeks old, the car was working fine up until last night, the speedo went funny before I arrived home and was just bouncing around from 30-120 everything else was fine until I killed the car and tried firing it back up again thanks

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds like an electrical problem to me. Grounds, bad battery (doesn't matter if new, they can be bad from the shelf), bad alternator, corrosion on the cables, etc.

What is the car? Mods? Engine?

What is the voltage of the battery? Both at rest and under load. Are the plugs firing and with a good spark? What is the condition of the cables? The grounds? The plug wires? Cap and rotor condition? When was the last time it was given a full tune up? There are a LOT of variables here that are unknown and are just going to lead way to guessing until proper troubleshooting is done to eliminate possibilities one by one. That is why stuff like this is hard to diag over the internet, especially when so vague.

matty21

The car is a 1998 Honda civic 1.4i illusion, the engine is completely standard alongside everything else other than coilovers, all the ground cables seem like they have a good connection, it is giving off a good spark to each spark plug, unsure of last tune up as only had the car 7 weeks and didn't come with much history, I know it's gonna be hard trying to diagnose over the Internet but this is the only way possible for me as I don't have the money to put it into a garage but I can replace parts myself if needed

matty21

Update, I have sort of found the problem, I'm not getting fuel into the head through the injectors, I believe it's because of no power to them?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Either that or they're clogged. You can test power to them easily with a multimeter.. +12 volts to each clip when you try to crank the motor. If they do all have voltage, check all your grounds.

matty21

There is no power going to the injectors, no immobiliser light on the dash and no battery light either, everything else is absolutely fine