97 Civic Si using water

MRKS

I just changed out the head gasket as it was shot, bled out the air from the system, the car hasn't overheated but is still using water , no apparent leak from the water pump and it has straight water in it at this time. Does it make that much of a difference using water as apposed to anti- freeze?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You are boiling it off. Water has a very low boiling point compared to coolant. Get some proper coolant in there asap. Only using water should be done as a temporary emergency situation only. You are at high risk of overheating the car destroying your new head gasket and possibly warping the head. There is a reason to run coolant in a vehicle instead of just water.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I will disagree with the above statement. Im using water as im not in cold climates. My water level is just fine.

The reason coolant is used is that water will freeze in freezing conditions. Water has better thermal cooling properties then coolant.
I do use spring water as theres less contaminants then tap or not enough properties then distilled. I also use Redline Water Wetter to prevent corrosion.

As far a you loosing water, you might have warped the head and have some seepage into a cylinder. Small amounts wont make smoke like a blown hg, but you shouldve had the deck and head checked for flatness.

Also how did you bleed the system. Al9t of people make simple mistakes when bleeding leaving air in the system.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^^^ This is only true if the car is cooling properly at 100% efficiency and by someone that knows what they are doing and the risks that are involved by running just water. This is not the case in OP's car obviously and the water is boiling over faster OR it is causing a steam void which is also bad. It can also be the warped head and it wouldn't really matter if coolant or water alone, but it would be amplified if the system isn't running like it should and only water is used.

Another reason to run coolant is because of the corrosion prohibitors. Straight water will destroy a water pump (if it has the metal fins instead of the plastic ones) as well as other stuff that is corroded by water alone.

There are more reasons to run coolant than just to prevent freezing (this comment is more for the OP).

The spring water comment is dead on though, if you are running tap water there is a high chance of hard water and nasty deposits that are going to form in the system, especially if only running water alone.

You aren't using coolant but aren't using straight water either. The additives you have put back some of the properties that are lacking with the coolant removed from the equation and it should be noted for OP and further searchers that come across this thread.

This is a picture of a water pump that was run with water alone. Doesn't happen overnight obviously, but it shows why the coolant is needed or at the very least, understanding HOW to run without coolant and the proper additives to add in to prevent corrosion.

rPQj0.jpg

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well yea.. you need some sort of additives to inhibit corrosion. Straight water like said for emergencies only.

After tearing apart my block i was surprised of the look of the jackets. Wasnt too shabby with h2o and water wetter.

Im also using a 1300cfm fan. So my ride sounds like a hairdryer in town.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lol @ hairdryer.

Water wetter is a hell of a product. That and stabil have saved my ass with my motorcycle not getting enough ride time.

MRKS

I will disagree with the above statement. Im using water as im not in cold climates. My water level is just fine.

The reason coolant is used is that water will freeze in freezing conditions. Water has better thermal cooling properties then coolant.
I do use spring water as theres less contaminants then tap or not enough properties then distilled. I also use Redline Water Wetter to prevent corrosion.

As far a you loosing water, you might have warped the head and have some seepage into a cylinder. Small amounts wont make smoke like a blown hg, but you shouldve had the deck and head checked for flatness.

Also how did you bleed the system. Al9t of people make simple mistakes when bleeding leaving air in the system.
A buddy of mine is a Honda mechanic and said it should be OK just changing out the head gasket as most of the ones they see the head is fine (that's not saying this one didn't get warped, time will tell?) as for bleeding the system we just put in anti-freeze ran it up to operating temp. till the fan cycled 3 times and air bubbles stopped coming up , hopefully this fixes the issue. Also there are no signs of any water in the oil or under the filler cap (the filler cap had white sludge under it prior to the gasket being changed.)

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Head should always be checked regardless of what it "looks" like. Many have thought the same thing only to have it bite them in the ass later.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
also the bleeding process is incorrect.

You need to jack up the front or park on an incline.
Start the car and turn the heat on
squeeze the hoses to help push air to the surface.
Fan cycling 3 times doesnt mean theres no air left in the system.

If you do the above method, you should be fine.

If it were me, I would pull the head again, have it milled, and get another HG.

MRKS

Thanks we'll run it up on ramps and go through the bleeding process again,( forgot to mention the heat was on and we did squeeze the hoses), worst case it gets pulled apart again, gaskets are cheap and a few hours of our time.

kelimaltzman

Always us antifreeze in your system....I usually use at least 50%+water...never run it without...there's a reason a new cars radiator is green when you open the cap....

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Always us antifreeze in your system....I usually use at least 50%+water...never run it without...there's a reason a new cars radiator is green when you open the cap....
Honda coolant is blue...

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

Want to explain the reason? Since you signed up just to make that vague explanation.

kelimaltzman

Honda coolant is blue...
You must be color blind....when I bought my civic ex in 2000 off the dealer lot it was green...it doesn't matter what color it is anyway...coolant has proprties like freeon gas...it absorbs and transfers heat....besides numerous other purposes....never run a car with straight water.....lol.....it s a setup for a disaster...

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You must be color blind....when I bought my civic ex in 2000 off the dealer lot it was green...it doesn't matter what color it is anyway...coolant has proprties like freeon gas...it absorbs and transfers heat....besides numerous other purposes....never run a car with straight water.....lol.....it s a setup for a disaster...
We have already covered water vs. Coolant. Please read the thread completely before responding.

Go to the dealer and ask for a bottle of long life coolant. Report back what color it is. Ffs it's even called "Honda Blue Coolant".

MRKS

OK , head planned , new HG, new coolant installed, system bleed (its Prestone and its Green if it matters) and its running just fine now. Also attached are pages from Honda's service manual on bleeding the cooling system.
Thanks for the help.

radiator 1 001.jpg radiator 001.jpg