Help! Civic ES K20A3 cranks but does not start!

Adrian J

I have an '04 Civic ES with a K20A3 engine. This is a limited edition model available in Thailand, Malaysia and the Philippines, and is not a swap.

One morning I had slight trouble starting the car, but it eventually did. I left it to warm up and it suddenly just died. But before it did, I could notice that my idle was erratic, as if the car was choking. I fired it up again but it kept dying until I could not start it anymore; it simply would just crank but would not start.

I suspected a fuel pump issue so I opened the fuel rail but there was fuel upon start-up. I checked the ignition coils to see if there was any current but lo and behold, not a single one has. What could possible cause this?

I disconnected the battery and left it disconnected overnight. The next day I fired it up again and it started. I warmed it up with no problems, then turned it off. I tried to start it again after five minutes but the problem came back; no current on the ignition coil (all of them). A mechanic friend of mine tried to clean the ignition key port as he suspected it was the culprit. It seems to have fixed the problem, but I still have doubts about the car, fearing it might die on me on a red light or on a parking lot. I brought the car to a local Honda dealer, and after six hours with them they concluded it was working fine with no issues. I have not driven it ever since for dear it might give up suddenly.

The only thing I have changed recently was a MAP sensor, bought off eBay. Battery is new, and the car is only 11 years old at 44,000 miles. This problem has me stumped.

Also, I've noticed that my idle has gone very low ever since the MAP sensor was changed. With everything off (A/C, lights, ACCS. etc.) and the engine warmed up, I noticed that the RPM fluctuates between 640-850 RPM. Is this normal?

OBD scanner returned just a faulty O2 sensor code, which I cleared. Can this also explain why this car has become very thirsty lately?

Any help/advise would be very much appreciated.

Justin

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You can't do any more diagnostics on it without driving it.
Replace the faulty O2 sensor, start driving it, see if it starts acting up.