d16y7 build any suggestions? ?

codys'96ekhatch

hi guys I have a 1996 honda civic hatch d16y7 engine with y8 transmission, headers with full exhaust skunk 2, cold air intake and that's about all that is modified at the moment. she has 232k miles and still running strong. What is the next step I can take to get more power, I don't have tons of money at the moment I kind of just want to do little by little as I get the money.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
little by little piece together a turbo kit, other than that there isnt much to gain any power. could do nitrous or a super charger kit but i would recommend saving for a supercharge kit and nitrous is cheap enough

codys'96ekhatch

little by little piece together a turbo kit, other than that there isnt much to gain any power. could do nitrous or a super charger kit but i would recommend saving for a supercharge kit and nitrous is cheap enough
thanks a lot for the suggestions, yeah I would love to do a turbo kit. I am going to definitely look into that, what do you think I am going to spend on something like that

I just answered my own question, found a kit on ebay for under 600!

Last edited by a moderator:

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ohh boy..

Another one who thinks they can boost on the cheap. Good luck with that kit. Expect to spend 1200-1500 more on everything else you need on top of that kit

When your ready for a real kit, look here:

http://www.go-autoworks-store.com

Terrell Russell

You should be ok with a ebay kit for the low 611$ I found on ebay just look up d16y7 engine turbo kit. You gotta get a new/used y8 head and manifold for it to work good tho you can make like 7,8 or 9 psi. That's what I read about and am trying to do

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You should be ok with a ebay kit for the low 611$ I found on ebay just look up d16y7 engine turbo kit. You gotta get a new/used y8 head and manifold for it to work good tho you can make like 7,8 or 9 psi. That's what I read about and am trying to do
No. You need to "read" more. There is a reason those kits are so cheap. Not saying that you have to buy the highest top dollar kit, but there is a reason that people go with the good stuff. Do it once or do it again and pay more when the stuff grenades and takes out more important stuff with it.

Those kits should be illegal to sell. They are about as shady as a corrupt used car lot selling the junk that real dealerships won't sell and should be in the wrecking yard.

What kills me is that OP has that many miles on it, doesn't have much money, and thinks that his tired ass engine is going to be able to handle extra power. Just because it is "running good" doesn't mean that it is capable of handling the pressure that is built up by boosting. s**t even rebuilt fresh stock engines with stock equivalent internals can't handle much power.

Terrell Russell

Respect. Ik you've been Doing this along time, I believe why it's really fake advertising is because the turbine it's self is really small and they put bigger housing on them to make them look like they make more power but really don't. I ain't giving up on the eBay turbo kit yet until I learn my lesson no set anyone up for failure get a good psi/speed you can run on the turbo call it a day. Cough cough get the other s**t you need to tget the s**t working right and safely. The only way for a ebay turbo to go back or bust some s**t is if it's defective,got to many miles on it, or your pushing that b***h way to hard and it explodes. Don't want that to happen lol. Once they get a stain milage the turbine gets looser and you don't want it scraping up against the housing walls I'm guessing lol that's when it time to get that near turbo man! Tbh your prolly the same as me wanting more power and your just excited about throwing awesome s**t on your car and knowing that you did it yourself or mostly your self I feel that it is a great feeling man. Really is. That's why I'm always looking for options just because everyone says "ahh Terrell you slow ass d series honda with an automatic Tranny ain't gonna work out, I say hell no I ain't about to give up just like that because someone else says it's not possible. Or maybe I'm just some a hole trying to learn s**t or do s**t that's not the right way to do it.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Respect. Ik you've been Doing this along time, I believe why it's really fake advertising is because the turbine it's self is really small and they put bigger housing on them to make them look like they make more power but really don't. I ain't giving up on the eBay turbo kit yet until I learn my lesson no set anyone up for failure get a good psi/speed you can run on the turbo call it a day. Cough cough get the other s**t you need to tget the s**t working right and safely. The only way for a ebay turbo to go back or bust some s**t is if it's defective,got to many miles on it, or your pushing that b***h way to hard and it explodes. Don't want that to happen lol. Once they get a stain milage the turbine gets looser and you don't want it scraping up against the housing walls I'm guessing lol that's when it time to get that near turbo man! Tbh your prolly the same as me wanting more power and your just excited about throwing awesome s**t on your car and knowing that you did it yourself or mostly your self I feel that it is a great feeling man. Really is. That's why I'm always looking for options just because everyone says "ahh Terrell you slow ass d series honda with an automatic Tranny ain't gonna work out, I say hell no I ain't about to give up just like that because someone else says it's not possible. Or maybe I'm just some a hole trying to learn s**t or do s**t that's not the right way to do it.
Do me and everyone else a favor, learn some more in your English class while your in school. I'm usually not a stickler for Grammer because mine is not the greatest but it's horrible reading a wall of text.

Next thing, please don't give advise on something you know very little to nothing about. Sure an eBay kit will work but can you fabricate? If not then your going to pay someone else to fix the work that horrible quality control let get by into almost all ebay kits. Next thing is the quality of wastegates/turbos/bovs, do you know the function of a wastegate? If not look it up and see what can happen if it fails and you over boost, also do I need to post the video of a turbo exploding on the dyno most likely because of a cheap quality?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hi guys I have a 1996 honda civic hatch d16y7 engine with y8 transmission, headers with full exhaust skunk 2, cold air intake and that's about all that is modified at the moment. she has 232k miles and still running strong. What is the next step I can take to get more power, I don't have tons of money at the moment I kind of just want to do little by little as I get the money.
1st off read, research and comprehend!
2nd, rebuild your motor before you dump money into it TRYING to boost it!

Doing both will save you from wasting money!

Do me and everyone else a favor, learn some more in your English class while your in school.
Next thing, please don't give advise on something you know very little to nothing about.
Two big thumbs up!

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Terrell

Dont give up on the ebay kit! I want you to be the 1st one to put all these people to shame,

Sure, the piping wont fit and youll have to pay to get the downpipe/chargepipes welded, Sure the wastegate/blow off valve/and turbo will most likely need replacing..

But I'm confident you can get it to work! Spend the 600 bucks.. then if parts grenade themselves, then pay to replace that part. Its no big deal! Its just a few bucks.

You can be THAT GUY who finally got the ebay kit to work AND last! Im keeping the faith man! Get your kit!!