Help for an idiot please? Door stuck

Kitg

I am possibly the least mechanically inclined person on the planet. BUT I decided replacing the passenger mirror assembly was a simple enough task. That actually went fine...problem is that I've obviously messed something up when I put it back together. The passenger door won't open from either the inside or the outside now.

I've managed to pull away the door panel enough to access some parts from inside the car- But I have no idea what to do from here. Any suggestions to get the door open are appreciated!!!

I can hear the power locks still working but neither handle responds. Could I have messed up the locking mechanism itself or maybe hooked the cables up wrong?
Sigh....Ironically I was trying to save money by doing it myself. Really Hoping it doesn't end up with a trip to a dealer

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Should be an easy fix. Does the handle feel like it has any pressure when u pull against it or does it just feel like a limp handle?

Kitg

Thanks for the reply! It was definitely a limp handle. I finally managed to get it open just a few minutes ago actually.

When I could get to the cables again, I could see the gray plastic part covering one of the cables (the part that goes into the white clip) was broken into two pieces.

It just seems like molded plastic - any chance I can repair it with super glue and wishes or does the whole cable part need to be replaced now? (That appears to be the one that controls the flip lock on the inside handle)

Kitg

The grey part in the photo is broken in two separate pieces right about where the screwdriver is pointing. I'm currently gluing it back together with lots of crossed fingers.

image.jpg

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That may work for a bit but i would imagine that Honda has one for a few bucks

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I am possibly the least mechanically inclined person on the planet.
If you'd see whats posted on here by other new members youd realize youre nowhere near as bad as you thought. Admitting youre not inclined is already an improvement.

Last edited:

typec

You just simple need to replace that part and surely it would go back to normal operation.

Kitg

I ordered a replacement cable, and in the meantime the door is functioning with just auto-lock. Thanks for the suggestions! I got a little panicky when the door wouldn't open...plus I just really didn't want to hear any 'I told you not to try it' from the hubby. I did manage to replace the window regulator in my Jeep this weekend with no problems though - no door damage that time! Made me feel a little better about messing up the Honda. BUT I still think it's safer for the world in general if I stay away from the do it yourself stuff as much as possible...