question about tuning

Brotherchard

Hello guy,
If I'm planning on ordering everything over time (dp, intake, exhaust) and have it all installed at once, should I tune first and then Flashpro (or vice versa)? Or am I supposed to do it together? What's the best/safest way to approach this?

Ps. quick question about cold air intakes. I know that if you hit a deep puddle it can suck water into the engine, but I was just wondering how common this is? I was interested in getting one but I don't want to have to worry constantly about driving in the rain. Am I safe for the most part? Am I just being paranoid?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
....if you don't have flashpro, how in the world will the car get tuned? You need an engine management system (flashpro) in order to tune. So get all your mods, get flashpro, get tuned. You can run the bolt on parts without flashpro, but the car will not be running optimally.

hydrolocking an engine with a cold air intake typically happens to people who drive their cold air intake car as if it's stock. With a properly installed intake, just driving on a rainy day (like a normal person, not WOT) isn't going to suck up water and lock the engine up. Submerging the intake filter or lots of WOT in rain will quickly draw lots of water into the engine. So driving with a cold air intake involves a bit of common sense. If you don't want to worry about it, stick with a short ram intake or use a cold air intake that incorporates a bypass valve like Hybrid Racing's cold air intake.

Brotherchard

....if you don't have flashpro, how in the world will the car get tuned? You need an engine management system (flashpro) in order to tune. So get all your mods, get flashpro, get tuned. You can run the bolt on parts without flashpro, but the car will not be running optimally.

hydrolocking an engine with a cold air intake typically happens to people who drive their cold air intake car as if it's stock. With a properly installed intake, just driving on a rainy day (like a normal person, not WOT) isn't going to suck up water and lock the engine up. Submerging the intake filter or lots of WOT in rain will quickly draw lots of water into the engine. So driving with a cold air intake involves a bit of common sense. If you don't want to worry about it, stick with a short ram intake or use a cold air intake that incorporates a bypass valve like Hybrid Racing's cold air intake.
So I know that the PRL cold air requires Flashpro, am I supposed to vittune while I have it installed or before I install it? I've heard that if you install it without Flashpro it's really bad for the car and it causes a bunch of rattling as well as other problems, but I thought the custom tune was for optimizing what's in your car. Sorry, I'm dumb. Please help me!!

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You tune after you install everything. Tuning before would be a waste of time.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So I know that the PRL cold air requires Flashpro, am I supposed to vittune while I have it installed or before I install it? I've heard that if you install it without Flashpro it's really bad for the car and it causes a bunch of rattling as well as other problems, but I thought the custom tune was for optimizing what's in your car. Sorry, I'm dumb. Please help me!!
Like above, you tune after you install the parts.

Installing that intake before tuning isn't going to kill the car. The ECU will try to account for the increase in air and try to correct the air fuel ratio on it's own to basically try it's best to make the car drive like stock again. So although you might make a gain in performance with the intake before tuning, it won't be optimized.