Clear Answers hard to find about ATF. (No pun intended)

Mexinugget

The suspect is an atypical 1995 civic EX with the d16z6 and four speed automatic transmission with the tiny dipstick on the passenger side and a "pan" capacity of 2.9 qts.

The problem is, I gleefully drained the fluid unlike any ATF job I've ever done with a 3/8" drive. From there I proceeded to clean my magnet and refill with 2.5 qts.. I figured to start on the low side and build my way up.

Then I learned that Hondas of this era are different, you check the fluid level in park cold... NO WAIT you check it hot but off and in part... SCRATCH THAT you can also check it running in neutral or park but it must be hot... never mind it can be cold doesn't matter... (All things I've heard on the internet) How the hell do you actually check the fluid in this car???

Secondly I've put a total of 3qts in at this point and it shifts wonderfully and cleanly but no matter which hand I stand on in december the fluid doesn't show on the stick. Could I have drained more than 3qts by having the car jacked up unevenly?

Thanks for your time guys.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Might want to give Honda a call. I believe the capacity on the 4 speed automatic d-series transmissions is something like 6.2 quarts.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you google for the service manual.. it can be found

We just cant provide a link to copywrited info on here.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you google for the service manual.. it can be found

We just cant provide a link to copywrited info on here.

This. They are all over the place in PDF form. Should have been the first place you looked.

Service manual says to run the car until it's at operating temp, drain the fluid, put the plug back in, fill it up. Doesn't say anything about crazy steps or anything. Capacity is 2.8 quarts at a change, 6.2 at an overhaul. Car should be on LEVEL ground and level when you check it.