What are you doing / did you do today / CHAT THREAD

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
iv thought about getting my cdl, is it hard to get ? and is it hard to get a good job?

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Ive had my Class A cdl for over 10 years now. It is really good to have but im over driving unless i have to.

May have to go that route though...
What endorsements? All I have left to get my class C with Hazmat is a skills test. Just trying to find a place that will return a call that's not 2 hrs away.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
iv thought about getting my cdl, is it hard to get ? and is it hard to get a good job?
It really depends on how you go about getting it. Theres tons of shitty drivers out there. I think the process should be harder.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The course for getting your cdl is expensive. I can't afford it, but I'd like to get it.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i mean, im a good driver, and i can drive pretty much anything thats thrown in front of me. does it cost alot?

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My husband got his through Wolf. Was $2000. 20 hours on road, 20 hours skill (driving around in the yard) and 100 hours classroom. My husband did it strategically starting off with the classroom stuff and saved the last few weeks of doing the skill and road. The most difficult part of it is the classroom time.

Drop and hook type of jobs seems like the best bet. Keeps you somewhat local and home every night. Now that's just here in Chicago. Bigger cities generate more companies and job positions.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OTR driving sucks d**k. Ill stick with the oilfield aspect of it.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:thumbup: id have to be home daily, i dont wanna drive across country. need to start looking locally . seems like a decent job -shrug- better than my dead end s**t.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:thumbup: id have to be home daily, i dont wanna drive across country. need to start looking locally . seems like a decent job -shrug- better than my dead end s**t.
Look at food delivery driving jobs. Home every night and normally pretty good pay and benefits.

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Depending on your area, there *can* be money to be made

But other areas, people can be cheapskates like the b***h I delivered to one time and asked for her $0.10 change, nah b***h

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Beer companies pay, but don't forget if it's local it's physical labor intensive.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
im not worried about working, i enjoy working my ass off as long im getting paid. i just need a job that will f**king pay.

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You gotta find a company that will pay for it.
Some companies do reimbursement for driving school if you get a driving job directly out of driving school. You can also file to get a reimbursement through your state.

A reputable driving school looks good on the resume too...

Last edited by a moderator:

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Gary, you have me on Facebook. It literally says where I work, and what I do on my Facebook profile :lol:

Chris is talking about food supply companies like Sysco or PFG (performance food group) they deliver food in bulk. The only thing that sucks is that if you get off schedule and wind up showing up for a delivery at a peak business hour (lunch time), you'll likely be bitched out. I've seen that s**t happen so many damn times.

That, and you're unloading everything with hand trucks, collecting checks from the business owners (that may not have it, or be there at the time). Bottom line is they seem to put up with a bunch of s**t with unorganized restaurants.

Check out local distribution centers for popular companies like walmart, Home Depot, etc. I worked security for a short time at a Home Depot distribution center. It seems like those guys had it made. They'd come in with no trailer, pick up an empty, go get loaded up somewhere, come back and drop it in the yard, then pick up a full trailer and drop it off at a store. Seemed pretty straightforward but I never really got to see what all they dealt with. I just did all the paperwork and made sure they had a seal on their trailer.

Worst f**king job ever for me. Great job for a lazy, inactive person.

...s**t Gary check out that security job :lol: haha I'm playin.