anybody know what this is?

pantyraid

=^.^=
99 lx auto sedan d16y7 sohc, totally stock as far as I know

I was dicking around under the hood the other day when this thing caught my eye, and just based on the fact that there's a few various bolts and such missing in a couple places I'm wondering if these two things (I circled the things in question in the first two pictures) are supposed to be connected to eachother? (No bolts missing from this particular area from what I can tell, just the fact that not everything is quite as it should be made me wonder if that was the case here too) and even if they're not supposed to be connected I'm still curious as to what they are

If it's hard to tell from the pictures, they're pretty low down, right up next to the firewall, below and to the left of the resonator (that is what the airbox is called right? Clearly I don't know very much about this subject haha - also below height wise, not directly below)

And those two pictures are from above

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That would be the wire for when you turn on/off heat

In the 1st pic, its supposed to slide on that arm.

pantyraid

=^.^=
That would be the wire for when you turn on/off heat

In the 1st pic, its supposed to slide on that arm.

Ahhhh ok spank you good sir

Does it do that on it's own or should the loop be around the arm at all times (and only move back and forth on the little arm without fully detaching)?

My heat doesn't work (and it hasn't always been like that), would this be the reason behind that?

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yup, that's the reason. it controls the coolant flow between the engine and the heater core.

pantyraid

=^.^=
that's it. slip it on and !voila! you now have working heat
Oh sweet thanks! Haha I had hoped it might be that simple but it seems like most everything else car related that I attempt thinking it'll be pretty straightforward ends up being more complicated than I initially thought, except maybe changing an air filter

I thought cleaning my iacv couldn't be too hard and yet I still haven't even managed to get the bottom half of the airbox off haha (which is actually what I was doing when I noticed this heater thing, so I suppose at least something good came of my failure)

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oh sweet thanks! Haha I had hoped it might be that simple but it seems like most everything else car related that I attempt thinking it'll be pretty straightforward ends up being more complicated than I initially thought, except maybe changing an air filter

I thought cleaning my iacv couldn't be too hard and yet I still haven't even managed to get the bottom half of the airbox off haha (which is actually what I was doing when I noticed this heater thing, so I suppose at least something good came of my failure)
Ok, I got confused for a moment. I was thinking of the IACV location on my car, which has the D16y8 engine (airbox nowhere near the IACV). I forgot you've got the d16y7 engine, and that the airbox is right at the throttle body.

pantyraid

=^.^=
Ok, I got confused for a moment. I was thinking of the IACV location on my car, which has the D16y8 engine (airbox nowhere near the IACV). I forgot you've got the d16y7 engine, and that the airbox is right at the throttle body.
Yeah exactly, and I can't seem to get the bottom of the resonator (that is what it's called right?) over the top of the throttle body (like the round part that has the throttle plate/butterfly valve inside, which opens into the bottom of the airbox, there's like a part holding it on that I can't bend far enough at enough places at once to get it off) and then there's some hoses and stuff that I'm assuming also need to come off but on a couple of them the foam part that the clamps are on top of has sort of degraded and I'm worried that I'll totally f**k it up if I try to loosen the clamps, are those even replaceable? I'm thinking I'd be able to find some hoses at the junkyard but I'd think that if they're from a car from the same generation they'd be just as old and degraded as mine

Haha as an absolute beginner at this sort of thing there's just so many things I don't know, I need to find a mentor or something but the few people I know that know anything about cars are the type that are totally misinformed but think they know everything, like the guy that keeps telling me I need to put 100% coolant in my radiator which is so totally wrong but since I'm inexperienced he blows off any and all research I've done on any subject and refuses to do any research himself because he already knows everything

Haha where are all the people like you guys?

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sounds like you need a honda enthusiast boyfriend.. or give the proper tools to your current bf and point.

But its not difficult. I got faith in ya

pantyraid

=^.^=
Sounds like you need a honda enthusiast boyfriend.. or give the proper tools to your current bf and point.

But its not difficult. I got faith in ya
Yeah you'd think this one would have plenty of mechanical know-how by this point, but unfortunately that's not the case :/ He's by far the best driver I know, he's owned 2 civics and a bunch of other cars (and both of us currently drive civics), we spend a lot of time at the auto parts store and occasionally junkyards too, and he's a total cheapass, which you'd think would all lead to him doing his own vehicle maintenance and such, but no dice

He knows when to get proper maintenance done, how to check and fill fluids, and how to drive the things, and that's about it

The other day he came outside when I was messing with the car and saw the top of the airbox and intake tube sitting on the sidewalk and started freaking out about how it was going to take forever to put back together haha (not to mention he initially thought it was 'broken', as in he didn't even realize that part comes off, and in about a half a second at that)

On the plus side though he's 6'4 and has super long arms to match so if there's something I can't reach very well I can have him mess with it for me (although if it's in tight quarters and I have to point to the general area and then describe something it can get a little complicated, like he didn't know what a wiring harness was and kept grabbing the wrong things haha) He couldn't get the bottom half of the damn thing off either but he didn't try very hard because was worried he was going to break something (which he very well could be right about judging by the condition of the hoses.. well not the hoses themselves, just the foam around the end where the clamps are.. actually come to think of it, couldn't I just buy some new foam somewhere to replace it with? Is it made out of anything special or could I just cut some foam from the craft store and wrap it around there? I guess it would have to be able to handle a fair amount of heat, so then maybe I would need special foam?)

Anyway I hope you're right, I'm most definitely not going to give up on this so hopefully if I f**k with it long enough I'll either eventually succeed or f**k something up so horribly that I absolutely can not fix it and have to find a professional haha

pantyraid

=^.^=
Haha I do tend to ramble, still working on my self-editing skills =)

It would be funny if it turned out I actually was a 12 year old cheerleader though

Ah, the mysteries of the internet

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Glad you're trying to learn. Research and reading DO have their place, and certainly are part of the preparation process, but there's no replacement for actually getting your hands dirty and turning those wrenches yourself. My wife won't even open the hood of her car unless I ask her to.
And regarding the bf, if he's that tall, his hands may be too big to fit into some of those areas his arms should reach (that's MY problem. I'm 6'3")

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
I'm tired of working on little cars with my 6'3 300lbs ass, that's why I work on semi trucks now lol. So much more room.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well im 6'4 250lbs. I already know about trying to cram them in areas where tiny handed japanese hands fit

Pretty typical with her.

I enjoy reading them and imagining a 12 year old cheerleader talking. Its pretty funny :rolf:

Last edited:

pantyraid

=^.^=
Glad you're trying to learn. Research and reading DO have their place, and certainly are part of the preparation process, but there's no replacement for actually getting your hands dirty and turning those wrenches yourself. My wife won't even open the hood of her car unless I ask her to.
And regarding the bf, if he's that tall, his hands may be too big to fit into some of those areas his arms should reach (that's MY problem. I'm 6'3")
Makes sense, and yeah you're right he does have big hands (although weirdly mine are almost as big, just way skinnier.. I guess I have man hands haha)