Back in WA, out of Hondas again (Legacy GT)

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I probably should get the old man a pit mat for Father's Day. As for me, I work in a call center with stupendous A/C. I have a lot of respect for mechanics, but sure as Hell wouldn't want to do it for a living!

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
My background is mainly plastics. Blow molders with 350-450 degree extruders running 24/7. Never worked in a air conditioned manufacturing plant. It's a b***h handling liquid plastic for hours on end, grinding plastic, breathing plastic dust. I said no more and now I'm just waiting for school to start (again).

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've been re-watching some older episodes of Mighty Car Mods and now I'm seriously thinking of buying an older Subaru for myself. My brother never had any driveline issues with his, but for something so much more complicated than I'm used to, I'm a little gunshy. Is this your first Subie? If not, did you ever have any issues with the driveline?

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
First Subie, first AWD vehicle. These Subarus are very high maintenance (my year/model specifically). From what I've seen the older ej20 series engines were MUCH better, as to exactly why I do not know. Unless a Subaru is EXTREMLY welled cared for I wouldn't even bother with it.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks for the advice. Think I'll stick with Honda for a while longer. Actually, had my eye on 4 door Integra. Actually found one with a manual trans in my area, but timing wasn't right for me to get it (was actually trying to find a replacement car for my wife, who can't drive a manual).

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
It's just like anything else, like how ten years ago DSM's were "problematic". No they weren't, they just had shitty owners. These days, Evos/STIs/SRT4s etc are in the same boat. My car has 170k on it, but it had a VERY meticulous first owner and the second owner kept up on it too. Also, 170k in ten years can only be done on the highway so this wasn't a stop and go in traffic all day situation.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah, that high of mileage I'd think highway as well. And remembering back to my Sport Compact Car reading days, I don't remember DSMs being described as problematic. I DID see quite a few articles with some absolute monster builds that I imagine were only manageable on the track, but that's about it. Oh, yeah. I remember the 2nd gen Eclipse engines supposedly had some issues with the crank, so a lot of guys were transplanting the older blocks into their cars.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Crank walk? Like 5% of 7bolts had that issue, after 20 years all the ones who had issues are off the road already. The 6 bolts do have bigger rods and lower compression which 10 years ago was cool. Now it's long rod high compression high rpm builds.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Well I decided the vf46 was too small sooooooo.
. Gonna need to fab some serious braces for this one.

Seriously though just waiting for coating.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well I decided the vf46 was too small sooooooo.
. Gonna need to fab some serious braces for this one.

Seriously though just waiting for coating.

ok, when I glanced at the first image, the surface of the desk and the floor in the background all looked like the same thing. So for about 5 seconds I'm thinking I'm seeing a turbo that's bigger than the bellhousing in the right side of the picture.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
no doubt it's massive, but keep in mind I originally thought it was bigger than an oil drum.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Lol I get what you're saying now. Its a Borg Warner S410, going on a 700hp 927ci caterpillar engine.

My new cartridge for MY turbo came yesterday, gonna just powder coat the compressor housing and put it together.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Well unfortunately I didn't mark the housings when I took it apart to properly clock the turbine housing, so I need to wait until my two other cores are here to have a reference. One should be here in a few hours. Suppose I could eyeball it but I rather just have it ready to bolt on directly.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
All it would be is leaving the compressor housing loose and orientating it with the clamp to the top mount. My other cores showed up, turned out my supplier sent me the wrong CHRA (and because I haven't memorized the PNs I didn't notice it at first). They sent me a cartridge for a slightly older model turbo, luckily one of my cores happened to be an older model so I bolted those housings to it instead.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
After seeing so many episodes of Mighty Car Mods, I'm starting to think about a Legacy myself. I'm more familiar with Hondas, but unless I run into a good 5 speed Integra sedan when I get the funds together I might just be going Subie for my next car.