2004 Civic turns over but will not start.

trandnash

Hello. My girlfriend's 2004 Honda Civic with 86k miles is turning over but won't start. For the past week, it has been harder than normal to start, with it turning over a little longer than usual before firing. This morning it just turned over forever without ever starting. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Any other symptoms before it stopped starting? And cels?

Does it have fuel and spark?

trandnash

Thank you for responding. It def has fuel, not sure about spark. It has been getting harder and harder to start over the last week. We are both nubes when it comes to car maintenance unfortunately.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Is the Check Engine Light (CEL) on?

Also, when's the last time the car has had a tune up... new spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, oil change, etc?

You can pull the battery and alternator and get them tested for free at a parts store such as Advance Auto as well.

trandnash

We have Metromile insurance, which plugs into the onboard diagnostic port on the car. It says the problem is with "Powertrain". None of the dash lights were on though last time we drove it (2 days ago).
There is a "whirring" sound when we try to start the car and it just keeps turning over but not firing.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That plug is just a mileage and speed checker. It isn't a proper scan tool; get it checked out by someone that has one meant for actually checking for trouble code and able to diag a check engine light.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would suggest new plugs and wires and everything ignition wise replaced even if thats not the problem.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is the Check Engine Light (CEL) on?

Also, when's the last time the car has had a tune up... new spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, oil change, etc?

You can pull the battery and alternator and get them tested for free at a parts store such as Advance Auto as well.
Wouldnt be the battery or alt if its turning over well.

Im leaning towards starter if the whirring is what i think it is.

Could be the stater not engaging.

trandnash

Thank you all for your insights. Any of you happen to know a good mechanic in Oakland/East bay CA who won't rip us off?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Honestly you can save a good bit of money and fix it yourself

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Logan98036wa

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would suggest new plugs and wires and everything ignition wise replaced even if thats not the problem.
these cars use the wiring harness and coil packs but im sure looking at the plugs outside of the motor will tell a story of what is going on.

Logan98036wa

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thank you again! What should I be looking for " at the plugs outside of the motor"?
Oil, very clean, black, chipped pieces and anything that looks out of place.
To check the spark plug the plug Into the cool pack that covers it and hang it over your exhaust heat shield and try to crank it for just a sec. Have a buddy watch the plug and see if it sparks. And if the open cylinder smells like fresh gas you probably have at least some fuel pressure.

trandnash

Oil, very clean, black, chipped pieces and anything that looks out of place.
To check the spark plug the plug Into the cool pack that covers it and hang it over your exhaust heat shield and try to crank it for just a sec. Have a buddy watch the plug and see if it sparks. And if the open cylinder smells like fresh gas you probably have at least some fuel pressure.
thank you. I should do this for 1 plug at a time? If they all spark and there is fuel each time, what should be the next thing I check? I checked fuel pump last night and it sounded like it was priming/working fine.

trandnash

One other question: what tools do I need to change the plugs? Seems hard to get a straight answer on the internet. Thank you.

pantyraid

=^.^=
One other question: what tools do I need to change the plugs? Seems hard to get a straight answer on the internet. Thank you.
Ratchet, spark plug socket (I'm pretty sure it's a 5/8 deep socket with a magnet inside, a lot of cheap starter ratchet/socket kits have one included), probably an extension also, and make sure you get that anti seize lube if it doesn't come with the plugs

Maybe also a gap tool just to double check they're right, and if you're not sure how tight they should feel and you're concerned about getting it wrong you could get a torque wrench too

Actually come to think of it I wonder if the process is any different on your distributor-less engine

We have one from the same year but I've never changed the plugs on that one

Haha somebody let me know if I'm totally steering him wrong here =) (or if I'm forgetting anything)

Also, to clarify since my wording sounded a little confusing, 5/8 is the size and you want a deep socket not a regular one

Last edited:

Logan98036wa

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
raid is correct about the tool, its a great investment because you will use it all the time.

Have a buddy watch the plug while cranking and it should like a healthy spark. Is the check engine light on?