endo617's 98 Civic LX Project: Balance

endo617

Respected
Registered VIP
Finished up collecting paint supplies, and I also made a dry run with out any prep on an old fender.

endo617

Respected
Registered VIP
Start this morning, I should finish tomorrow.

Here is it wet sanded and ready for the last coat tomorrow.

endo617

Respected
Registered VIP
Picked up my front lip from my bros house finally, makes the front look a lot better.

endo617

Respected
Registered VIP
All ready for AutoX tomorrow, hopefully it doesn't rain much. Changed my oil, trying out Valvoline SynPower 5w40.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
looking good! but, you spent all that time painting, and missed the grill surround?
I think he purposely left the grille unpainted to complement the unpainted lip, sideskirts, handles & mirrors. I like that contrast with the rims too.

The front end seems to have come out decent, but i see some uneven spray strokes at the rear panels & hood center. All that prep work time will be for nothing if you didnt clear coat the spray paint. Itll fade in a few months.

endo617

Respected
Registered VIP
looking good! but, you spent all that time painting, and missed the grill surround?
LOL trust me I tried, ran out of patience trying to tape it not to paint the mesh. I'm looking into just getting an EK4 grill

Looks awesome for rattle can man.
Thanks man, cheap too.

I think he purposely left the grille unpainted to complement the unpainted lip, sideskirts, handles & mirrors. I like that contrast with the rims too.

The front end seems to have come out decent, but i see some uneven spray strokes at the rear panels & hood center. All that prep work time will be for nothing if you didnt clear coat the spray paint. Itll fade in a few months.
Rustoleum was terrible to paint with. The nozzle was not like a fan that Krylon used. I wouldn't say it was for nothing because this isn't the first time I've painted a car with rattle, I had it for 2 years before I sold it.

endo617

Respected
Registered VIP
AutoX was cool today, rain stopped before the runs. I need to get my front sway bar installed ASAP but 2 bolts snapped and I barely have down time. At higher speeds the car felt like it was doing a 4 wheel slide, and steering response was terrible. My usual competition was leaving me in the dust lol.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
LOL trust me I tried, ran out of patience trying to tape it not to paint the mesh. I'm looking into just getting an EK4 grill
I hear you. I spent about a week prepping, taping, primering, color coating, AND clearing (twice on clear, since first time was wrong clear, had a tint that didn't match rest of the panels)
because of the wrong clear, had to sand back and retape. didn't do as well so had to retouch the mesh.
Big pain in the ass. And of course after all that, the piece didn't fit right. The shape was ALMOST right, but being a hard ABS instead of a slightly flexible material, didn't mold itself as well to the bumper as the original.
I don't know what it is with the 99-00 grill, but aftermarket manufacturers seemed to have done a better job on the fitment for the 96-98 grills than the 99-00.

endo617

Respected
Registered VIP
I hear you. I spent about a week prepping, taping, primering, color coating, AND clearing (twice on clear, since first time was wrong clear, had a tint that didn't match rest of the panels)
because of the wrong clear, had to sand back and retape. didn't do as well so had to retouch the mesh.
Big pain in the ass. And of course after all that, the piece didn't fit right. The shape was ALMOST right, but being a hard ABS instead of a slightly flexible material, didn't mold itself as well to the bumper as the original.
I don't know what it is with the 99-00 grill, but aftermarket manufacturers seemed to have done a better job on the fitment for the 96-98 grills than the 99-00.
The struggle of getting aftermarket parts. I try my best to stay OE as much as the budget lets me.

On the way to Honda Fest on Sunday. So many nice cars.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah, I know. cheap part, expect cheap quality. wasted more of my time than my money. Oh well. I'm thinking of selling that car in the next few months anyway

endo617

Respected
Registered VIP
yeah, I know. cheap part, expect cheap quality. wasted more of my time than my money. Oh well. I'm thinking of selling that car in the next few months anyway
That's sad news

Small addition, rear valances because I can't have front mud guards. I broke them at AutoX, dont feel like constantly taking them off before events.