99 Civic Ek Hatchback 2nd Gear Pops Out

Vance Drikill

so recently I purchased a 99 civic ek hatchback. the gears were easy to put in, its just everytime you were to slam 1st to second quickly, it would grind a little, but was still being placed into the second gear. I had no problem with that because normally i wouldn't do that, lol. But anyways, I let one of my friends drive it last night and he was pounding my car & burning out a lot. There was a lot of grinding in my gears but still was getting placed into it. Everything seemed fine when we parked, but then later when I was driving it home, I noticed the second gear kept popping out sometimes and the only way to keep it in second gear was to tug it into second gear and hold it in place with force.. Now im not too sure what the problem is because im still learning about cars. Someone please help me and explain what the problem is and how much would it take to fix it. Thanks you, aloha.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so recently I purchased a 99 civic ek hatchback. the gears were easy to put in, its just everytime you were to slam 1st to second quickly, it would grind a little, But anyways, I let one of my friends drive it last night and he was pounding my car & burning out a lot..
You and your even less intelligent friends are driving your econobox Honda like a racecar, why?
You've probably beaten on it so much, you've ruined the synchros in it.
Good luck.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Your transmission is going to need transmission rebuild... not sure about prices in your area, but it will run somewhere between $500-$700 for parts, plus labor.

Vance Drikill

Your transmission is going to need transmission rebuild... not sure about prices in your area, but it will run somewhere between $500-$700 for parts, plus labor.
so if I swap the whole transmission, everything shall be fine?